Boy van Poppel
Van Poppel at the 2016 Tour of Britain.
|Full name||Boy van Poppel|
18 January 1988 |
Utrecht, the Netherlands
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||77 kg (170 lb)|
|Rider type||Sprinter/Lead-out man|
|2006–2010||Rabobank Continental Team|
|2014–||Trek Factory Racing|
Boy van Poppel (born 18 January 1988) is a Dutch professional road racing cyclist. He is the son of former cyclists Jean-Paul van Poppel and Leontine van der Lienden. He is currently riding for the UCI WorldTeam Trek–Segafredo.
On 12 September 2008, Utrecht-born van Poppel made a name for himself at the Tour of Missouri, winning the fifth stage. With that victory, he handed Mark Cavendish his first 'defeat' in a bunch sprint since the 2008 Giro d'Italia held in May. In the 2012 Tour of Britain, van Poppel finished consistently in the top ten in numerous stages, which helped him secure the Points Classification jersey before second-placed Mark Cavendish.
In late 2012, van Poppel signed a contract for the 2013 season with Vacansoleil–DCM, becoming the third member of his family to be part of the squad; his brother Danny also joined the team for the 2013 season as a first-year professional, while his father Jean-Paul worked as a directeur sportif for the team.
Van Poppel joined Trek Factory Racing for the 2014 season, after his previous team – Vacansoleil–DCM – folded at the end of the 2013 season. He was named in the start list for the 2015 Vuelta a España.
- 1st Junior race, UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships
- 1st Stage 5 Tour of Missouri
- 9th Omloop van het Waasland
- 9th Ronde van Overijssel
- 1st Stage 3 Tour de Normandie
- 1st Prologue (TTT) Olympia's Tour
- 2nd Schaal Sels
- 3rd Road Race, National Under–23 Road Championships
- 8th Antwerpse Havenpijl
- 9th Omloop van het Waasland
- 1st Stage 4 Kreiz Breizh Elites
- 5th Châteauroux Classic
- 6th Zellik–Galmaarden
- 10th Dwars door Drenthe
- 5th Overall Ronde van Drenthe
- 3rd Nokere Koerse
- 7th Overall Tour of Britain
- 8th Handzame Classic
- 6th Vattenfall Cyclassics
- 6th Amstel Curaçao Race
- 8th Halle–Ingooigem
- 9th Overall Three Days of De Panne
Grand Tour general classification results timeline
|Tour de France||144||—||—||—||—|
|Vuelta a España||—||—||158||—||—|
|—||Did not compete|
|DNF||Did not finish|
- "Boy van Poppel joins Vacansoleil-DCM". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. 27 December 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Rob Lampard (13 September 2012). "De Maar wins alone in Stoke". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- Monika (2010). "u23 Mock Last: Place 15 – Boy van Poppel". Place 15 – Boy van Poppel. cycling4fans.de. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Trek signs van Poppel brothers, Felline for 2014". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 3 October 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Mark Zalewski (12 September 2008). "Young Rabobanks show-up sprinters in Missouri". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- Rob Lampard (16 September 2012). "Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain overall". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Vuelta a España 2015". Cycling Fever. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boy van Poppel.|