|Release||August 11, 2021|
|Genre(s)||Dungeon crawl, dating sim|
Boyfriend Dungeon is a dungeon crawler-dating sim developed and published by Kitfox Games. Taking place in an urban fantasy setting, the player character must fight through dungeons with the help of a human partner who can transform into a sentient weapon. Outside of dungeons, the player can date their partner in visual novel-style sequences that increase their power in combat. It was released for the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows on August 11, 2021.
The game's combat takes place in real time from an isometric perspective. The player can perform different combos depending on their weapon. Outside of combat, there are visual novel-style dating sequences that allow the player to choose their responses.
The main character, whose gender is selectable, lives in Verona Beach, a city in a contemporary fantasy world where monsters pose a danger to people. The player fights in dungeons, known as "dunj" in the world's slang, using weapons created from transformed humans or other creatures. The weapons can be dated to increase their power, although the game also contains a "platonic" relationship with a cat. The personalities of the weapon characters are based on their weapon type.
The game was funded via Kickstarter, where it raised $272,000 and surpassed its goal. One of its characters, Rowan, was designed by the artist of Hatoful Boyfriend. The developers stated that they wanted to make the romance elements "as inclusive as possible" and therefore allow players to date women and non-binary characters, despite the game's title.
Kitfox tried to avoid making the protagonist a self-insert character, and focused on adding "fears and desires and an arc" to make the main character more of a character.
On September 10, 2020, it was announced that the game would be delayed to 2021 to protect the developers' mental health. Additionally, some content was cut from the game so that it would be released "at a time that isn't like... 2025".
GamesRadar+ stated that "the game feels perfectly weighted to suit those who love either genre, yet doesn't alienate new players". PCGamesN called it "an intriguing curio". IGN gave the game a mixed review, saying that "Boyfriend Dungeon offers a fun spin on the dating sim formula, but its roguelite parts don't always mix well with developing romance."
- Delahunty-Light, Zoe (2019-06-27). "Boyfriend Dungeon is a dating sim/dungeon crawler hybrid where your lover turns into a weapon, then you fight with them… literally". gamesradar. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- Webster, Andrew (2021-08-11). "Axiom Verge 2, Boyfriend Dungeon, and more are out on the Switch today". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-08-11.
- Wood, Austin (2018-08-16). "Boyfriend Dungeon's cast of lovable weapons adds a cat that turns into brass knuckles". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- "I met my Boyfriend Dungeon sword in a club, and I don't trust him". PCGamesN. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- Staff (28 May 2019). "Video: The grind behind Boyfriend Dungeon 's $272K funding success". www.gamasutra.com. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon is like Tinder for swords". VentureBeat. 2017-10-19. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon Director: Despite The Bad Faith, It's Good That We're Talking". Kotaku. 25 August 2021. Retrieved 2021-11-08.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon delayed to 2021". 10 September 2020.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon for Switch Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2021-11-07.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2021-11-07.
- "Boyfriend Dungeon for Xbox Series X Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2021-11-07.
- Ruppert, Liana (19 August 2021). "Boyfriend Dungeon Review – To Woo Or Not To Woo, That Is The Question". Game Informer. Retrieved 19 August 2021.
- Sanchez, Miranda (19 August 2021). "Boyfriend Dungeon Review". IGN. Retrieved 19 August 2021.
- Mitch, Vogel (August 18, 2021). "Boyfriend Dungeon Review (Switch eShop)". Nintendo Life. Retrieved August 19, 2021.
- Erskine, Donovan (25 August 2021). "Boyfriend Dungeon review: Man Crush Monday". ShackNews. Retrieved 25 August 2021.
- Boyfriend Dungeon Review - IGN, 13 August 2021, retrieved 2021-08-17
- "The Game Awards 2021 winners – here are the TGA results". PCGamesN. Retrieved 2021-12-11.