Boyne Island, Queensland
|Population||4,406 (2011 census)|
|• Density||81.14/km2 (210.16/sq mi)|
|Area||54.3 km2 (21.0 sq mi)|
Boyne Island is a town and locality in Queensland, Australia, 25 kilometres (16 mi) south of Gladstone. It is part of the local government area of Gladstone Region. At the 2011 census, Boyne Island has a population of 4,406.
It is located on the west bank of the Boyne River and, is a particular type of island called a holm, an island in a river or an estuary. It is bounded on the Eastern side by the Boyne River, for about 4 km and the South Trees Inlet,on the southern, for 9 Km, and western sides, for about 8 km Tannum Sands is located on the Eastern side of the mouth of the Boyne River spreading southward and is often referred to as Boyne Island's twin town.
Boyne Island has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Australia's largest aluminium smelter, Boyne Smelters Ltd., is located north of the town separated by a buffer zone.
The 13 hole Boyne Island Tannum Sands Golf Course is located in Boyne Island adjacent to the Boyne River, in Jacaranda Drive. Hole 12 in particular is challenging, with out-of-bounds and water hazard in strategic places.
Boyne Island is home to the Boyne Tannum Hookup, which is a large fishing event held on the Labour Day long weekend in May each year. The event is held at Bray Park, which is on the river near the skate park. This event is very popular, with more than 3,000 entrants.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Boyne Island (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Boyne Island (entry 4230)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Map of Boyne Island, QLD 4680 | Whereis®". www.whereis.com. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "William Wyndhams gravesite and remnant orchard trees (entry 601811)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "St Luke's Anglican Church (entry 600385)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Contact us". Gladstone Regional Libraries. Gladstone Regional Council. Archived from the original on 25 June 2012. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Boyne Island-Tannum Sands Country Club". Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "About the Boyne Tannum Hookup". boynetannumhookup.com.au. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boyne Island, Queensland.|