Boys 'Round Here
|"Boys 'Round Here"|
|Single by Blake Shelton featuring Pistol Annies and friends|
|from the album Based on a True Story…|
|Released||March 26, 2013|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville|
|Blake Shelton singles chronology|
"Boys 'Round Here" is a song written by Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson, and Craig Wiseman and recorded by American country music artist Blake Shelton. It was released in 2013 as the second single from his seventh studio album, Based on a True Story….
It features backing vocals from several people associated with Shelton: the Pistol Annies, a group featuring Shelton's then-wife, Miranda Lambert; RaeLynn, a contestant on The Voice, on which Shelton is a judge; co-writers Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson and Craig Wiseman; and producer Scott Hendricks. Co-writer Craig Wiseman said that the opening line "The boys 'round here don't listen to The Beatles" came from Davidson, who made the remark after seeing Beatles memorabilia in Wiseman's office. After Davidson said the word "redneck", Wiseman decided to "[chop] it up into short pieces" to create the "red, red, red, red, red, red, redneck" heard in the opening. Of the song's theme, Wiseman said that he felt it was an example of "write what you know" despite criticism of songs which use similar Southern themes.
Shelton said of the song, "That song had me from the first, ‘cause I thought about all the guys I know back in Tishamingo [sic]. None of them listened to The Beatles. They listened to Hank, or these days you’ll hear Jason Aldean blaring out of somebody’s car coming from a mile away. It’s just how they are, and that song is just written exactly how I live."
In June 2013, a Celebrity mix version premiered on BlakeShelton.com. It features Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Ronnie Dunn, Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Brad Paisley, Josh Turner, Keith Urban and Hank Williams Jr., each of whom performs part of the "redneck" line. The Celebrity mix version was released to iTunes on June 11, 2013.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song 4.5 stars out of 5, saying that it "is intentionally silly, but score the singer significant style points for never taking his story too seriously." Giving it 4 out of 5 stars, Matt Bjorke of Roughstock compared it favorably to Shelton's previous singles "Ol' Red" and "Playboys of the Southwestern World", saying that "Boys 'Round Here" "took chances" like those songs did. He also praised the instrumentation. Sam Gazdziak of Country Universe was less favorable, saying that it was "sexist, crude and jam-packed with country stereotypes, it’s an embarrassment to everyone involved".
"Boys 'Round Here" débuted at number 44 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of April 6, 2013. It peaked at number two, but was kept out of the top spot by "Cruise by Florida Georgia Line". It also debuted at number 19 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of April 13, 2013. It also debuted at number 67 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of April 13, 2013. It also debuted at number 60 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of April 20, 2013. It has sold over a million copies in the United States as of June 2013. It reached Number One on the Country Airplay chart dated June 29, 2013, becoming Shelton's ninth consecutive Number One country single, and his fourteenth overall. The song was certified 3× Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America on May 8, 2015. As of June 2014[update], the song has sold 2,559,000 copies in the U.S.
Charts and certifications
"Highway Don't Care"
by Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift
|Billboard Country Airplay
June 29, 2013
"Anywhere with You"
by Jake Owen
by Darius Rucker
|Billboard Canada Country
June 15-July 13, 2013
by The Band Perry
- "'Boys Round Here' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Blake Shelton's Based On A True Story...". GAC News & Notes. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Paxman, Bob (27 May 2013). "Story Behind the Song: Good Ol' Boys". Country Weekly. 20 (21): 17. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Bjorke, Matt. "Blake Shelton "Based On A True Story..." Song-By-Song - RoughStock". RoughStock. Archived from the original on January 4, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Premiere: First Listen To "Boys 'Round Here" Celebrity Mix". Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- "Blake Shelton Pays Tribute to the 'Boys 'Round Here' on Saturday Night Live". Spin. January 25, 2015. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Blake Shelton, ‘Boys ‘Round Here’". ToC Critic’s Pick. tasteofcountry.com. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Album Review: Blake Shelton, Based On a True Story…". Country Universe. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- on YouTube
- "CMT : Videos : Blake Shelton : Boys 'Round Here". Country Music Television. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "Chart Highlights: New Kids On The Block Return With 'Remix' On Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Paul Grein (June 12, 2013). "Week Ending June 9, 2013. Songs: Pretty Fly For A White Guy". Chart Watch. Yahoo Music.
- Paul Grein (June 25, 2014). "Chart Watch: Maroon 5 Beats Coldplay". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).
- "Blake Shelton – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Blake Shelton.
- "Blake Shelton – Chart history" Billboard Canada Country for Blake Shelton.
- "Blake Shelton – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Blake Shelton.
- "Blake Shelton – Chart history" Billboard Country Airplay for Blake Shelton.
- "Blake Shelton – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Blake Shelton.
- "Best of 2013: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Blake Shelton – Boys %27Round Here". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 26, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH