Boys Do Fall in Love
|"Boys Do Fall In Love"|
|Single by Robin Gibb|
|from the album Secret Agent|
|Released||17 May 1984|
|Songwriter(s)||Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb|
|Producer(s)||Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb|
|Robin Gibb singles chronology|
The song's B-side was "Diamonds", and it was released on Polydor Records in the UK and Mirage Records in the US. The song was written by Robin and Maurice Gibb. A long extended version of "Boys Do Fall in Love" ended at five minutes.
Gibb wrote "Boys Do Fall in Love" with his brother Maurice Gibb along with six other songs on the album Secret Agent. The song was recorded between March and June 1984. This track was registered in April that year. The song is memorable for its synthesizer riff played by Rob Kilgore and Maurice Gibb.
"Boys Do Fall in Love" was released as a single in many countries and became one of the biggest hits in the United States. In the UK, Canada, Italy, Germany and Spain, the single was titled as "Boys (Do Fall in Love)". The song's extended version was released in France. It reached the Top 40 in several countries, including the United States where it peaked at #37. In the UK, the song only managed to chart at #70, but was more successful in South Africa and Italy, peaking at #7 and #10, respectively. It also reached #8 on the Hot Dance Club Songs chart on 21 July 1984. Mirage pushed the song's promo version, run by Gibb's old friend Jerry L. Greenberg from Atlantic Records. In October 1984, "Boys Do Fall in Love" was certified gold along with Duran Duran's "The Reflex", Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do with It" and Laid Back's "Sunshine Reggae".
The music video features first the single cover of "Boys Do Fall in Love" then later features a kid talking with his grandfather while Gibb sings the song with his shades on his head; later on in the chorus, he finally wears his shades. The video also features robots.
- Parokya ni Edgar covered the song in 2007 from their album Solid, retitled "Boys Do Falling Love".
- Lou Master covered the song in 2013 on the album Super Eurobeat 222.
There's a short film in the Philippines directed by Mark Andre Yapching and Archie Abong.
- Discogs.com. "Robin Gibb - Secret Agent".
- Joseph Brennan. "Gibb Songs: 1984".
- Popoff, Martin. Goldmine Standard Catalog of American Records 1948-1991. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Robin Gibb - Secret Agent". Discogs. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Discogs.com. "Robin Gibb - Boys Do Fall in Love / Diamonds".
- Discogs.com. "Robin Gibb - Boys Do Fall in Love (France release)".
- Ruhlmann, William. "Secret Agent - Robin Gibb". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Billboard: Dance/Disco Top 80 (21 July 1984). Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Billboard 1984. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Robin Gibb - Boys do fall in love". You Tube. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Songs Written by the Gibb Family on the International Charts" (PDF). brothersgibb.org. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Item Display - RPM". Library and Archives Canada. August 25, 1984. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Robin Gibb - Boys Do Fall in Love". officialcharts.de. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Robin Gibb – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Robin Gibb.
- "Robin Gibb - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Cash Box Top 100". Cashbox Archives. July 14, 1984. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "American single certifications – Robin Gibb – Boys Do Fall in Love". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Parokya Ni Edgar - Solid". Discogs. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Various - Super Eurobeat Vol. 222 - Extended Version". Discogs. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Boys do fall in love Short Film". Vimeo.