Boys Ranch Independent School District
|Boys Ranch Independent School District|
|163 River Rd.|
Boys Ranch, Texas
|Type||Independent school district|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||61.93 (2009-10) (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Student-teacher ratio||4.67 (2009-10)|
|Athletic conference||UIL Class 2A Football Division II|
|TEA District Accountability Rating for 2011-12||Academically Unacceptable|
|Website||Boys Ranch ISD|
The Boys Ranch School District serves Cal Farley's Boys Ranch, a facility for at-risk boys and girls primarily from the local area, but also for youth around the world. Boys Ranch is a non-profit entity. Unlike other Texas school districts, Boys Ranch has no taxable base. Instead, Boys Ranch relies on donor contributions.
As of the 2010-2011 school year, the appraised valuation of property in the district was $0. The maintenance tax rate was $0.000 and the bond tax rate was $0.000 per $100 of appraised valuation.
In 2011, the school district was rated "academically unacceptable" by the Texas Education Agency. Six percent of districts in Texas in 2011 received the same rating. No state accountability ratings will be given to districts in 2012. A school district in Texas can receive one of four possible rankings from the Texas Education Agency: Exemplary (the highest possible ranking), Recognized, Academically Acceptable, and Academically Unacceptable (the lowest possible ranking).
Historical district TEA accountability ratings
- 2011: Academically Unacceptable
- 2010: Academically Acceptable
- 2009: Academically Acceptable
- 2008: Academically Acceptable
- 2007: Academically Acceptable
- 2006: Academically Acceptable
- 2005: Academically Acceptable
- 2004: Academically Acceptable
In the 2011-2012 school year, the district operated four schools.
- Regular instructional
- Boys Ranch High School (Grades 9-12)
- Blakemore Middle (Grades 6-8)
- Mimi Farley Elementary (Grades K-5)
- Alternative instructional
- STARR Academy (Grades 2-12)
Boys Ranch High School participates in the boys sports of baseball, basketball, football, and wrestling. The school participates in the girls sport of basketball. For the 2012 through 2014 school years, Boys Ranch High School will play football in UIL Class 2A Division II. The school football team made its first ever playoff appearance in 2008. The school cross country team has never lost a district title since it picked up the program in 1981. It has also won 8 state titles and 10+ state runners-up.
- "Texas School Directory 2012" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Boys Ranch ISD". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "UIL Alignments". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Boys Ranch High School". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System District Ratings for 2004 through 2011". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System Summary of Ratings for 2004 through 2011(as of November 2, 2011) District Ratings by Rating Category (including Charter Operators)". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 7 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Accountability Rating System for Texas Public Schools and Districts". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 24 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.