||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
Career in Psychology
He was trained in Gestalt Therapy by Fritz Perls, M.D., Ph.D., the founder of Gestalt Therapy. He was trained in hypnosis by Milton Erickson, M.D., the founding president of the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis and a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, and the American Psychopathological Association.
His first book, Radical Honesty: How To Transform Your Life By Telling The Truth, became a nation-wide bestseller in 1996 and has been translated into seven languages.[clarification needed] That was followed by books that applied the principles of Radical Honesty to personal growth, social transformation and parenting. Radical Honesty emphasizes noticing and ceasing various forms of self-deception and lying to others, including white lies.
Blanton earned his doctorate from the University of Texas at Austin in 1966 when he was 25 years old. He spent 25 years in the private practice of psychotherapy, becoming the Director of The Center for Well Being in Washington, D.C., where he worked with individuals, couples, and groups. He also served as a consultant to corporations, government and the media. In 1990 he moved to central Virginia and founded Radical Honesty Enterprises, a private corporation dedicated to promoting honesty in the world.
Blanton now lives in Stanley, Virginia, where he spends his time writing.
Blanton is the 7th District Chairman and member of the Central Committee of Virginia's Independent Party, Independent Greens of Virginia. He ran against Eric Cantor in 2004 election for the United States Congress in Virginia's Seventh Congressional District. In that race, he earned 24% of the vote. Before the election in 2006 he announced that he no longer wished to be elected and asked his supporters to instead vote for Democrat Jim Nachman.
- "WHO IS BRAD BLANTON?". Radical Honesty Enterprises. Retrieved 2011-10-30.[dead link]
- "Media Release: Blanton Withdraws to Support Nachman". Committee To Elect Brad Blanton. October 16, 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2008-12-15.
- Blanton, Brad 2011, The Korporate Kannibal Kookbook, SparrowHawk Publications, ISBN 978-1-4507-4253-5
- Blanton, Brad 2006, Beyond Good and Evil: The Eternal Split-Second Sound-Light Being, SparrowHawk Publications, ISBN 0-9706938-5-0
- Blanton, Brad 2005, Radical Honesty, The New Revised Edition: How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth, SparrowHawk Publications; Revised edition, ISBN 0-9706938-4-2
- Blanton, Brad 2004, The Truthtellers, SparrowHawk Publications, ISBN 0-9706938-3-4
- Blanton, Brad 2002, Radical Parenting: Seven Steps to a Functional Family in a Dysfunctional World, SparrowHawk Publications, ISBN 0-9706938-2-6
- Blanton, Brad 2001, Honest to God: A Change of Heart That Can Change the World, SparrowHawk Publications, ISBN 0-9706938-1-8
- Blanton, Brad 2000, Practicing Radical Honesty, SparrowHawk Publications, ISBN 0-9630921-9-7
- "Blanton for Congress - Virginia 7th District
We've Seen What Lies Can Do
Vote Blanton for Honesty". Committee To Elect Brad Blanton. October 16, 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2008-12-15. (archived) Official Campaign Website
- Radical Honesty Official Website
- This American Life television episode featuring Blanton
- 2006 fund raising report
- 2004 fund raising report