David Bradley Carter
December 5, 1973
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
|Other names||Guy playing guitar during brain surgery|
|Occupation||Actor, guitarist, painter, sculptor, photographer|
|True Detective |
Sons of Anarchy
David Bradley "Brad" Carter (born December 5, 1973) is an American film and television actor, guitarist, painter, sculptor, and photographer, known for playing Charlie Lange in True Detective and Leland Gruen in Sons of Anarchy.
After suffering from brain disease and tremors that caused his hands to shake, he underwent brain surgery in 2013, which he recorded and posted on YouTube. The video went viral, and he became known as the "guy playing guitar during brain surgery".
Early life and education
In 2010, Carter made guest appearances in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Disney's Zeke and Luther, Justified, True Blood, and New Girl. He portrayed Rankin in one episode of the Showtime series Dexter, wherein his character was killed.
In 2014, Carter made guest appearances in two episodes of HBO's True Detective opposite Matthew McConaughey as Charlie Lange, an ex-husband of murdered Dora Lange, the case around which the series revolves. Later, he portrayed Leland Gruen, an Aryan Brotherhood member, in three episodes of FX's Sons of Anarchy. Then he played John Stokes, a stockyard master, in the miniseries Ascension.
In 2015, Carter starred in the film Dixieland, and portrayed murder victim John McIntyre in Black Mass, directed by Scott Cooper, and based on a true story. Carter appeared in the drama The Revenant (2015), opposite Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu. He will also appear in the upcoming film Eat Me opposite Michael Shamus Wiles, directed by Adrian Cruz.
Nader Pouratian, director of UCLA's Neurosurgical Movement Disorders Program, performed brain surgery on Carter twice, in January and March 2013. The first surgery was to implant electrodes in his brain, and the second was to put wires down his neck. Carter had first noticed tremors in his hands in 2006, which were misdiagnosed as symptoms of Lyme disease by three specialists. During the operation, Carter needed to be awake for the best results, so his doctors suggested that he play guitar during his operation to see when his tremors weakened.
A video recording was made of Carter's operation, which was later posted on YouTube. The video went viral and received media attention worldwide. Carter became known as the "guy playing guitar during brain surgery." The hospital staff had requested the video recording to help allay those suffering from similar diseases who were curious about the surgery.
|2007||Avenging Angel||Gunman #2||Television film|
|2008||Night Life||Dave||Television film|
|2009||Karma Bitch||Pool Man Jim||Short film|
|2010||The Boy Who Stole'd Christmas||Wade||Short film|
|2010||Red Dead Redemption: The Man from Blackwater||Deputy Marshal Jonah (voice)||Short film|
|2012||One Week||Roy||Short film|
|2012||Crash & Burn||JT Steckel||Television film|
|2013||The Sleepy Man||Red||Short film|
|2013||String Theory||Clint||Short film|
|2014||The Gun||Crazed Scavener||Short film|
|2015||Untitled Johnny Knoxville Project||Jukebox||Television film|
|2015||Black Mass||John McIntyre|
|2015||The Highway Is for Gamblers||Simon|
|2015||The 7 Sevens||Jesse||Short film|
|2016||Free State of Jones||Lt. Barbour|
|2017||The Scent of Rain and Lightning||Billy|
|2008||The Riches||Billy||1 episode|
|2009||It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia||Carney||1 episode|
|2010||Zeke and Luther||Steve||2 episodes|
|2010||Justified||Bobby Joe Packer||2 episodes|
|2010||True Blood||Kris||1 episode|
|2010||Dexter||Rankin||Episode: "My Bad"|
|2010||Criminal Minds||Charlie||1 episode|
|2011||Harry's Law||Stevie Kazz||1 episode|
|2011||Castle||Bobby Spurlock||1 episode|
|2012||New Girl||Stranger||1 episode|
|2012||CSI: NY||Darius Cole||1 episode|
|2012||MyMusic||Lenny's Dad||1 episode|
|2012||The Mentalist||Phil Rawson||1 episode|
|2013||Bones||Nick Bennett||1 episode|
|2013||Longmire||Riley Manning||1 episode|
|2013||The Cheerleader Diaries||Coach Eugene Hines||6 episodes|
|2008-2013||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Gerald Tolliver / Rudy||3 episodes|
|2014||True Detective||Charlie Lange||2 episodes|
|2014||Perception||Gary Williams||1 episode|
|2014||Sons of Anarchy||Leland Gruen||4 episodes|
|2014||Ascension||John Stokes||3 episodes - miniseries|
|2014-2015||Preface to Being Jaded||Homeless Man||2 episodes|
|2018||I'm Poppy||Able Abraham||Lead role|
|2010||Red Dead Redemption||Deputy Marshal Jonah|
|2010||Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare||Deputy Marshal Jonah|
- Villacorte, Christina (September 11, 2013). "Actor-musician Brad Carter chases his dream before time runs out". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Skinner, Keven (October 27, 2014). "Brad Carter Teases New Syfy Series Ascension, His Upcoming Album & Final Season of Sons of Anarchy [Interview]". gotham-news.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Bierly, Mandi (October 15, 2014). "'Sons of Anarchy': Brad Carter on Leland, and other roles his mom can't watch". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Brad Carter's bio". bradcarter.me. Archived from the original on July 21, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Martinez, Carlos (January 30, 2014). "Brad Carter Makes a Splash in 'True Detective'". patch.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Yamato, Jen (October 24, 2014). "'Zeroville' Adds Seth Rogen, Megan Fox & More; Brad Carter Lands 'The Revenant;' Noah Segan Enlists in 'War Pigs'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "'Eat Me' Will Test Human Endurance (Exclusive)". Bloody Disgusting. December 5, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Carroll, Linda (July 10, 2013). "Actor has brain surgery while awake and strumming a guitar". Today. Retrieved July 17, 2015.