Brad S. Karp
|Brad S. Karp|
|Born||1960 (age 56–57)|
|Other names||Brad Karp|
|Known for||Chairman of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP|
Brad S. Karp is an American lawyer. He currently serves as chair of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.
Karp earned his B.A. from Union College in 1981. He went on to receive a J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1984. Aside from a clerkship under Judge Irving R. Kaufman in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Karp has worked continuously at Paul, Weiss since his days as a summer associate.
Karp has represented a wide range of clients in his career, including many financial services firms. His client list includes JPMorgan Chase, Wachovia, Morgan Stanley, Apollo Global Management, Merrill Lynch, Deloitte, MacAndrews & Forbes, ING, Bear Stearns, Ericsson, Hexion, Scottish Power and Eton Park in securities, commercial and regulatory matters.
The strength of his work for Citigroup in the wake of the Enron and WorldCom scandals featured prominently in Paul, Weiss being named "Litigation Department of the Year" by The American Lawyer in 2006.
Brad serves as a director of the Legal Action Center, a non-profit law and policy organization in the U.S. whose sole mission is to fight discrimination against people with histories of addiction, HIV/AIDS, or criminal records.
Awards and Recognitions
Brad has won numerous awards for his legal accomplishments, including receiving the New York Law Journal’s first Impact Award in 2013, for “innovations to the partnership model … outstanding representation of clients during the financial crisis … and commitment to public service that has boosted the firms' pro bono hours.” In 2012, he was named by The Financial Times as one of 10 lawyers who are “agents for change.” Best Lawyer selected him as "Banking and Finance Litigator of the Year" for 2017 and 2014.
- Frankel, Alison (January 2006). "Litigation Department of the Year: The Lifesavers". The American Lawyer.
- Sorkin, Andrew Ross (May 12, 2008). "Paul Weiss Picks Its New Chairman". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-19.
- Koppel, Nathan (May 9, 2008). "Paul Weiss Picks Karp To Become Next Chairman". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2009-03-19.
- Koppel, Nathan. "Paul Weiss Votes Brad Karp Its Next Chairman". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Board of Directors - Legal Action Center". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Brad Karp". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Financial Times" (PDF).
- "Brad S. Karp - Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP | Best Lawyers". www.bestlawyers.com. Retrieved 2016-09-22.