|Date of birth:||August 10, 1955|
|Place of birth:||Houston, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Westlake High School,
Westlake Hills, Texas
|NFL Draft:||1978 / Round: 3 / Pick: 74|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Sterling Bradford Shearer (born August 10, 1955) is a former American college and professional football player who was a defensive lineman in the National Football League (NFL) for three seasons. He played college football for the University of Texas, received consensus All-American honors, and was recognized as the best college interior lineman in the country. A third-round pick in the 1978 NFL Draft, he played professionally for the NFL's Chicago Bears.
Shearer received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Texas at Austin, where he played for the Texas Longhorns football team from 1974 to 1977. He was a two-time All-Southwestern Conference selection in (1975, 1977), As a senior team captain in 1977, he averaged ten tackles per game, led the Longhorns to a No. 1 ranking, and was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American. He was also awarded the Outland Trophy, recognizing him as the best interior lineman during the 1977 college football season.
The Chicago Bears picked Shearer in the third round (74th pick overall) of the 1978 NFL Draft, and he played for the Bears from 1978 to 1981. In three NFL seasons, he appeared in thirty-four regular season games for the Bears, and started two of them. He did not play during the 1979 regular season, and his pro career was later cut short by a knee injury.
- 1977 College Football All-America Team
- List of Texas Longhorns football All-Americans
- Texas Longhorns
- National Football League, Historical Players, Brad Shearer. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Brad Shearer. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- TexasSports.com, Football, All-Time Lettermen, Brad Shearer Profile. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- TexasSports.com, Football, All-Conference Archived September 19, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- 2011 NCAA Football Records Book, Award Winners, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Indianapolis, Indiana, p. 7 (2011). Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- Associated Press, "Shearer Named Outland Winner," The News and Courier (December 11, 1977). Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1978 National Football League Draft. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Brad Shearer. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- Associated Press, "Bears pay Shearer for wounded knee," Ottawa Citizen (December 11, 1986). Retrieved June 26, 2012.