|Education||Kent State University|
|Occupation||Author, blogger, documentarian, musician, Zen teacher|
|Teacher||Gudo Wafu Nishijima|
Brad Warner was born in Hamilton, Ohio, in 1964. His family traveled for his father's job and Warner spent some time in Nairobi, Kenya, but grew up mainly near Akron, Ohio, and attended Kent State University. As a teenager Warner got into the music of the 1980s and hardcore punk, and a friend of his took him to a show by Zero Defex. He auditioned for and joined the band after finding out they needed a bass guitarist. He began practicing Zen Buddhism under his first teacher, Tim McCarthy. Warner later studied with Gyomay Kubose.
He has played with Dimentia 13. After the financial failure of his Dimentia 13 albums, Warner got a job in Japan with the JET Programme, and then later in 1994 with Tsuburaya Productions, the company behind Ultraman. Warner played the roles of various foreigners in their programs. While in Japan, he met and trained with Gudo Wafu Nishijima, a student of Rempo Niwa Zenji, who ordained him as a priest and named him as his dharma heir in 2000.
In 2008 Warner lost his job with the Japanese company he had been working for in the States and as of January 2009 he was self-employed.
- Warner, Brad (2011). Death To All Monsters!. Hardcore Zen Books. ISBN 9781257647248.
- Warner, Brad (2013). Gill Women of the Prehistoric Planet. CreateSpace. ISBN 9781482712155.
- Warner, Brad (2003). Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies & the Truth About Reality. Wisdom Publications. ISBN 0-86171-380-X.
- Warner, Brad (2007). Sit Down and Shut Up: Punk Rock Commentaries on Buddha, God, Truth, Sex, Death, and Dogen's Treasury of the Right Dharma Eye. New World Library. ISBN 978-1-57731-559-9.
- Warner, Brad (2009). Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate: A Trip Through Death, Sex, Divorce, and Spiritual Celebrity in Search of the True Dharma. New World Library. ISBN 978-1-57731-654-1.
- Warner, Brad (2010). Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything in Between. New World Library. ISBN 978-1-57731-910-8.
- Nishijima, Gudo Wafu; Brad Warner (2011). Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika. Monkfish Book Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9833589-0-9.
- Warner, Brad (2012). Hardcore Zen Strikes Again!. Cooperative Press. ISBN 9781937513078.
- Warner, Brad (2013). There Is No God and He Is Always With You: A Search for God in Odd Places. New World Library. ISBN 9781608681839.
- Warner, Brad (2016). Don't Be a Jerk: And Other Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan's Greatest Zen Master. New World Library. ISBN 9781608683888.
- Warner, Brad (2017). It Came from Beyond Zen!: More Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan's Greatest Zen Master: 2. New World Library. ISBN 9781608685110.
- Warner, Brad (2019). Letters to a Dead Friend about Zen. New World Library. ISBN 9781608686018.
- The New Hope. New Hope Records. 1983.
- International P.E.A.C.E. Benefit Compilation (double LP). R Radical Records. 1984.
- Midnight X-Mess #2 LP. Midnight Records. 1986.
- Midnight X-Mess #3 LP. Midnight Records. 1987.
- Dimentia 13
- Dimentia 13. Midnight Records. 1985.
- Mirror Mind. Midnight Records. 1987.
- Disturb the Air. Midnight Records. 1989.
- T.V. Screen Head. Midnight Records. 1990.
- Flat Earth Society. Midnight Records. 1991.
- Guest appearances
- drop the A-bomb. Get Revenge Records. 2007. (1982 demo reissue)
- Discography. Get Revenge Records. 2007. (1982 demo and 1983 debut, 2 CD)
- War Hero. Get Revenge Records. 2007. (1983 debut reissue)
- Zero Defex. 0DFx Records. 2008. (New recordings 2007/2008)
- Warner, Brad (2007). Sit Down and Shut Up: Punk Rock Commentaries on Buddha, God, Truth, Sex, Death, and Dogen's Treasury of the Right Dharma Eye. New World Library. p. 248. ISBN 978-1-57731-559-9.
- Walters, Sarah (November 18, 2011). "Zen and the art of punk rock . . ". Manchester Evening News.
- Sit Down and Shut Up: Punk Rock Commentaries on Buddha, God, Truth, Sex, Death, and Dogen's Treasury of the Right Dharma Eye. New World Library. 2007. pp. 254. ISBN 978-1-57731-559-9.
- "'Question of Authority' ...?" Interviewed by Gary Gach in The Buddhist Channel, Sep. 6, 2007
- Hynes, Mary (2007-08-14). "Interview with Brad Warner". Tapestry. Archived from the original on 2007-11-12. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Sex, Sin & Zen: Brad Warner and the Lust for Enlightenment". The Huffington Post.
- Clarke, Liam (June 15, 2010). "Meet Brad, the bad boy of Zen Buddhism". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Brad Warner: 07-10-2013: There Is No God and He Is Always With You - Upaya Zen Center". Upaya Zen Center. 2013-07-15. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- Brad Warner's articles for Suicide Girls
- "Cleveland's Screaming!". Distrify.[permanent dead link]
- Tone, Joe (October 3, 2007). "Cleveland's Screaming: New Doc Looks at 80s Punk Scenes". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Hardcore Zen (Interview)". Here and Now. 2003-09-26. Archived from the original on 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Dogen Sangha International is No More". Hardcorezen.blogspot.com.
- "Dogen Sangha International Post Mortem". Hardcorezen.blogspot.com.
- "Going to California". Hardcorezen. April 28, 2012. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- "I Love L.A." Hardcorezen. July 6, 2012. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- "Dogen Sangha Los Angeles". Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- "Hardcore Zen: The Movie". Hardcorezen. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- Quinn, Megan (January 11, 2014). "Zen's bad boy Brad Warner translates to film". Daily Camera. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Ford, James Ishmael (2006). Zen Master Who? A Guide to the People and Stories of Zen. Wisdom Publications. ISBN 0-86171-509-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brad Warner.|
- Official website
- Dogen Sangha Los Angeles
- Brad Warner's articles for Suicide Girls
- Dimentia 13 on the Midnight Records website
- Audio Interview Series[permanent dead link] on Buddhist Geeks
- Brad Warner's articles for Tricycle: The Buddhist Review
- Daily Practice: How to Get on the Cushion Every Day a Tricycle Dharma Talk (2014)
- Brad Warner at IMDb