St Mary's Church, now redundant
|Area||16.55 km2 (6.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||42/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference||TF 9208|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Bradenham is a village and civil parish, a conglomeration of East and West Bradenham, in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated some 5 miles (8.0 km) south-west of the town of East Dereham and 19 miles (31 km) west of the city of Norwich.
The civil parish has an area of 16.55 km2 and in the 2001 census had a population of 722 in 301 households, the population decreasing to 700 in 293 households at the 2011 Census.
For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the Breckland district.
The River Wissey rises in Bradenham and flows to the west whilst the River Yare rises to the east of Bradenham and flows to the east.
Bradenham derives from the Anglo-Saxon for a broad (meaning large) hamlet.
Bradenham is home to St. Mary's Church, a Grade 1 listed building dating back to the Fourteenth Century.
Bradenham Hall was home to the Haggard family for many years and the birthplace of the writer Sir Henry Rider Haggard.
- ^ "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- ^ Ordnance Survey (1999). OS Explorer Map 237 – Norwich. ISBN 0-319-21868-6.
- ^ Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes. Office for National Statistics and Norfolk County Council (2001). Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- ^ Visit Breckland Archived 13 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Office for National Statistics and Norfolk County Council (2001). Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes. Retrieved 2 December 2005.
- ^ University of Nottingham. (2022). Retrieved November, 2022. http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/map/place/Buckinghamshire/Bradenham
- ^ Burke, B. (1925). (14th ed.). A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Henry Colborn, pp. 804-806.
- Map sources for Bradenham, Norfolk
- Information from Genuki Norfolk on East Bradenham and West Bradenham.