|Chief of Staff to the Governor of New Jersey|
September 1, 2007 – December 1, 2008
|Preceded by||Thomas Shea|
|Succeeded by||Lisa Jackson|
|Treasurer of New Jersey|
January 23, 2006 – September 1, 2007
|Preceded by||John McCormac|
|Succeeded by||Michellene Davis|
Bradley Ira Abelow|
June 9, 1958
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Residence||Montclair, New Jersey|
Northwestern University (BA)|
Yale University (MBA)
Bradley Ira Abelow (born June 9, 1958) is an American businessman and political leader who formerly served as Chief of Staff to the Governor of New Jersey in the Cabinet of Gov. Jon Corzine. Prior to entering Governor Corzine's Cabinet as State Treasurer, he was a top executive for the Wall Street firm of Goldman Sachs. After working in Corzine's cabinet he was Global Chief Operating Officer of MF Global (Joined 13 Sept 2010)
Wall Street Career
He served for 15 years in executive positions with Goldman Sachs, where he worked with Governor Corzine, the investment bank's former CEO. Treasurer Abelow headed the company's global operations and at one point ran its Hong Kong office. While at Goldman Sachs, Abelow served on the Board of Directors of The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation.
Treasurer of New Jersey
Abelow formerly served as New Jersey State Treasurer. He was appointed Treasurer by Governor of New Jersey, Jon Corzine and took office on January 23, 2006. In his role as Treasurer, Abelow oversaw the New Jersey Department of the Treasury, and its approximately 4,000 employees who work in the eleven divisions and offices of the Department of the Treasury to perform three major functions: Revenue collection and generation, assets management and statewide support services.
As Treasurer, Abelow held seats on several state boards in New Jersey. In June 2007, he was named the #3 most influential political personality in the state of New Jersey. While at the Treasury, Abelow put together the 2006 and 2007 state budgets and helped craft several initiatives the Corzine Administration launched with regards to fixing the state's financial structure.
Chief of Staff to the Governor
On September 1, 2007, Corzine named Abelow to serve as his Chief of Staff, replacing Thomas Shea. Treasurer Abelow was considered an unusual choice for the post since he had no background in New Jersey politics and was primarily a business executive by training. Most of Treasurer Abelow's predecessors as chief of staff had been long standing New Jersey political operatives, lobbyists and former legislators.
Formerly a New York resident, Treasurer Abelow has relocated to Montclair, New Jersey with his wife and three children.
- http://www.mfglobalinvestorrelations.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=194911&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=1470109[permanent dead link]
- PoliticsNJ.com Power List 2007 Archived 2007-10-14 at the Wayback Machine., dated June 20, 2007.
- "Governor Taps Brad Abelow As Chief Of Staff", Governor of New Jersey press release dated August 7, 2007. Accessed August 7, 2007. "Governor Jon S. Corzine today announced that effective September 1, 2007 State Treasurer Bradley Abelow will serve as his new chief of staff.... Abelow earned an M.B.A. from the Yale University School of Management and a B.A. from Northwestern University. He and his family live in Montclair."
- Governor Corzine Names New Chief of Staff Archived October 28, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., Governor of New Jersey press release dated October 24, 2008. Accessed October 27, 2008.
- New Jersey Department of the Treasury official state site
- Project Vote Smart – Bradley Abelow (NJ) profile
| Treasurer of New Jersey
| Chief of Staff to the Governor of New Jersey
September 1, 2007 – December 1, 2008
Lisa P. Jackson