March 26, 1994 |
Lakeville, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||206 lb (93 kg; 14 st 10 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
|New York Rangers
Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)
|NHL Draft||28th overall, 2012
New York Rangers
Brady Skjei (pronounced Shea; born March 26, 1994) is an American ice hockey defenseman, currently playing for the Hartford Wolf Pack in the American Hockey League (AHL) as a prospect for the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Skjei was drafted by the Rangers in the first round, 28th overall of the 2012 National Hockey League (NHL) Entry Draft. Prior to joining the University of Minnesota, Skjei played for the USA Hockey National Team Development Program, based out of Michigan and he represents the United States in international play.
Skjei played two seasons of high school hockey in Minnesota for the Lakeville North Panthers. In his first season with the team, he was named Rookie of the Year, and in his second he was named the teams Most Valuable Player. For his final two years of high school, Skjei played with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program, based out of Michigan. He spent one season with the Under-17 team, and one with the Under-18 team. After his final season with the National Team Development Program, Skjei was selected by the New York Rangers in the first round of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. During his freshman season at the University of Minnesota, Skjei played in 36 games, recording one goal and two assists. Skjei signed a contract with the New York Rangers on April 1, 2015. He reported to the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL as an Amateur Tryout to finish the 2014-15 season, which makes him eligible to play for the Rangers in the 2015-16 season.
Skjei represents the United States in international play. His first taste of international hockey was at the 2011 World U-17 Hockey Challenge, where he recorded one goal and three assists in 6 games, while helping the USA to a second-place finish. In 2012, Skjei played in several tournaments with the American Under-18 team, including the 2012 IIHF World U18 Championships, capturing a gold medal in the first International Ice Hockey Federation sanctioned tournament he played in. He attended the American evaluation camp in preparation for the 2013 World Junior Championship, but was not selected for the final team. Skjei was selected to the American team for the 2014 World Junior Tournament, held in Sweden.
While attending Lakeville High School in Minnesota, Skjei played quarterback on the varsity football team and was also a member of the golf team. His grandfather played football at the University of Minnesota.
- "Rangers Select Brady Skjei". BlueShirts United. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Brady Skjei Bio". University of Minnesota. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Brady Skjei". USA Hockey. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Leonard, Pat (2012-06-23). "NY Rangers take defenseman Brady Skjei with 28th overall pick in NHL draft". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Leonard, Pat (2 April 2015). "Rangers' 2012 first-round pick Brady Skjei signs entry-level contract to begin 2015-16; joins Hartford Wolf Pack on ATO". New York Daily News. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Bruins Outlast Pack on OT Marathon". Hartford Wolf Pack. April 26, 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- Brady Skjei's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Brady Skjei's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
J. T. Miller
|New York Rangers' first round draft pick