BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited
|Founded||New Delhi, India (February 12, 1998 )|
|Dr. S.K. Mishra
Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director
|Total assets||US$5 billion (2013)|
The BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited is a joint venture between the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) of India and the Federal State Unitary Enterprise NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia under BrahMos Aerospace. The BrahMos missile is named after two rivers, the Brahmaputra and the Moskva.
After the Gulf War of the 1990s, there was a feeling that it was necessary to have a cruise missile system in India. As a result in 1998, then Scientific Advisor of India to Defense Minister A. P. J. Abdul Kalam and Deputy Defence Minister of Russia N.V. Mikhailov signed an inter-governmental agreement in Moscow.
India holds a 50.5% share stake in the company and Russia holds the other 49.5% .
BrahMos Aerospace production centre first started at Hyderabad in Andra Pradesh. In 2007, BrahMos Aerospace acquired Kerala Hitech Industries Limited at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala and converted it into BrahMos Aerospace Trivandrum Limited which made it into the second missile making unit for a world-class missile facility with system integration and testing.
Aim and objective
The aim of the agreement and formation of a joint company was to design, develop, manufacture and market the world's fastest supersonic cruise missile system.
Organisation and leadership
- "About BrahMos Aerospace Trivandrum Limited". BrahMos Aerospace Trivandrum Limited. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Missile man of India Sivathanu Pillai describes BrahMos plans". The Hindu. 31 December 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "BrahMos takes over KELTEC". The Hindu. 6 December 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "3rd BrahMos centre in Nagpur". Deccan Chronicle. July 6, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Official Website of the BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited
- Official Website of the BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited
- BrahMos - A project of two Governments
- BrahMos - A Missile with a Niche