This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location of Brahmanbaria in Bangladesh
|• Total||1,927.11 km2 (744.06 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
Administration and demographics
Brahmanbaria District, which was included in Comilla district (formerly Tipura district) was established in 1984. The district has 4 municipalities, 39 wards, 97 mahallas, 9 upazilas, 98 union parishads, 1081 mouzas and 1329 villages.
- Brahmanbaria Sadar Upazila
- Ashuganj Upazila
- Nasirnagar Upazila
- Nabinagar Upazila
- Sarail Upazila
- Kasba Upazila
- Akhaura Upazila
- Bancharampur Upazila
- Bijoynagar Upazila
- National seat no 243 Brahmanbaria-1 (Current MP Mohammad Sayedul Haque, Minister of Fisheries)
- National seat no 244 Brahmanbaria-2 (Current MP Ziaul Haque Mridha)
- National seat no 245 Brahmanbaria-3 (Current MP R.A.M. Obaydul Muktadir Chowdhury)
- National seat no 246 Brahmanbaria-4 (Current MP, Anisul Huq, Minister of Law)
- National seat no 247 Brahmanbaria-5 (Current MP, Fayzur Rahman)
- National seat no 248 Brahmanbaria-6 (Current MP AB Tajul Islam)
The Location of Brahmanbaria District on the Map of Bangladesh.
|Currency||৳ Bangladeshi Taka|
|৳76 BDT = US$1|
Population below poverty line
Labour force by occupation
|Agricultural, industrial, and service|
|Gas, Agriculture, Electricity, Fishing|
Brahmanbaria is one of the fastest growing districts in the country. The major industries of Brahmanbaria District have been: agriculture, fishing, power, and natural gas.
This city has the largest railway junction in the country which is Akhaura.
Power and gas
Brahmanbaria's Titas gas is important to Bangladesh. Currently the government is drilling new wells. In some other parts of Brahmanbaria gas was founded. It turned down the price of gas. Many parts of the country people are using gas in many illegal ways. Now the government is trying to solve that issue. The total recoverable gas reserve is 4,740 billion cubic feet. Out of total sixteen gas wells drilled so far in this field 7 are vertical wells and the other 9 are deviated wells. Currently 475 million cubic feet of gas is produced daily from Titas Gas Field. Saldanodi Gas field is other gas field in Brahmanbaria. It also plays an important contribution in national economy of Bangladesh. Meghna Gas Field also located in Brahmanbaria.
The railway communication of the district is quite extensive in Bangladesh standard. Most of the important trains between Dhaka-Chittagong and Dhaka-Sylhet stop at Brahmanbaria rail station. There are about ten railway stations in the district. The country of India decided to use this district to connect power. The government shipped machines of the Palatana project from Kolkata to Agartala by using the Ashuganj river port on Meghna in Brahmanbaria district. To connect with India, government of both Bangladesh and India is building 15 km railway from Akhaura to Agartala.
Those are the railway stations located in Brahmanbaria District:
- Akhuara Junction,
In 2015 the District of Brahmanbaria, like the rest of Bangladesh, faced problems of road blocks due to political agitation. It became a terrible problem for regional connectivity as it brought a halt to the road and rail transportation. Investors became afraid to make new investments due to this reason. Luckily the situation did not last very long before being resolved. This region also faced with clashing between two groups. In 2015 a man was killed for facing problems between two groups. Former Chief Justice of Bangladesh, Surendra Kumar Sinha had said while he was delivering his speech in Brahmanbaria that smuggling was hurting the national the economy. Gold and dollar are going out of the country, he said.
Brahmanbaria District is mostly farmland. But within the district many cities can be found. The capital and largest city is Brahmanbaria. Akhaura and Ashuganj ranks also in top three. Prime minister of Bangladesh gave permission to use Ashuganj Port. In addition, Akhaura Station will be connected to Agartala.
Brahmanbaria (Sarail) was the birthplace of Isa Khan. A pot of 200 years old coin was founded in District's Akhaura Upazila. There were nearly 500 coins at the Temple of Durga in Mogra Union. The coins contain image of British Queen Elizabeth-I were from 1804, 1814 and 1836. Police said coins was handed over to archaeology department.
- "Population Census 2011: Brahmanbaria Table C-01" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "বাংলাদেশ (Bangladesh) জাতীয় তথ্য বাতায়ন - গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকার - People's Republic of Bangladesh". bangladesh.gov.bd.
- "Zila level povmap estimates, 2010" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
- "AKA/Akhaura Junction Railway Station Map/Atlas – India Rail Info". India Rail Info.
- "Titas Starts New Well Drilling – Energy Bangla". Energy Bangla.
- "Regulator to look into unusual fall in prices of Titas Gas stocks". The Daily Star.
- "Titas struggles to remove illegal gas connections". Dhaka Tribune.
- "Bangladesh to ink pact with India for 100MW power from Tripura". The Times of India.
- "India, Bangladesh business set to grow through ports, waterways". The Economic Times.
- "CNG drivers block Brahmanbaria highways". Prothom Alo. 2 September 2015.
- "Man killed in Brahmanbaria clash – Dhaka Tribune". dhakatribune.com.
- "Smuggling hurting economy: SK Sinha". The Daily Star.
- Press Trust of India (3 May 2014). "B'desh agrees to allow India use waterways to Ashuganj port". business-standard.com.
- "Government approves Rs 1,000 crore for India-Bangladesh rail link". timesofindia-economictimes.
- "200-year-old coins recovered". Dhaka Tribune.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brahmanbaria District.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Brahmanbaria District.|