Brand New Girlfriend (song)
|"Brand New Girlfriend"|
|Single by Steve Holy|
|from the album Brand New Girlfriend|
|Released||January 16, 2006|
|Producer(s)||Lee Thomas Miller|
|Steve Holy singles chronology|
"Brand New Girlfriend" is a song written by Jeffrey Steele, Shane Minor and Bart Allmand, and recorded by American country music singer Steve Holy. It was released in January 2006 as the first single and title track from the album Brand New Girlfriend. The song, which took 36 weeks to reach number 1, set a record for the slowest climb to number 1 by a country single since Billboard started using Nielsen SoundScan data in 1990. The record has since been broken by Tracy Lawrence's "Find Out Who Your Friends Are", which reached No. 1 in its 41st chart week.
Holy told CMT that when he heard "Brand New Girlfriend" for the first time, he liked it instantly. "It could have been my life story," he says. Then he amends the statement. "I won't say it was my life story, but it had all my sarcasm. It was almost as if this song was written for me. When I heard it originally, I was like, 'Man, this is it. This is a smash.'" Holy says he recorded it within 10 days or so after first hearing it. Next, he tried it live. "I really felt like it was a hit. I didn't know for sure. But when I played it on the road for about year, I saw the reaction. It's kind of amazing to have a song that gets a bigger reaction than your five-week No. 1."
The music video was directed by Eric Welch and premiered in late July 2006.
Zach Seabaugh covered the song on The Voice (U.S. season 9) during the Live Playoffs round.
|US Billboard Hot 100||40|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
"Leave the Pieces" by The Wreckers
|Billboard Hot Country Songs number-one single
September 23, 2006
"Give It Away" by George Strait
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Chart Beat
- Holy Resurfaces With "Brand New Girlfriend"
- "Steve Holy – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Steve Holy. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- "Steve Holy – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Steve Holy. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- "Best of 2006: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2006. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Steve Holy – Brand New Girlfriend". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 27, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
|This 2000s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|