|Chapman University College
Chapman College Residence Education Center Program
1958 as the Residence Education Center Program at Chapman UniversityRenamed Brandman University in 2009.
|Chairman||David A. Janes|
|Chancellor||Gary Brahm |
|Board Secretary||James Roszak|
|1575 (full-time and part-time)|
|Students||Approximately 11,000 annually|
|Undergraduates||Approximately 4,000 annually|
|Postgraduates||Approximately 6,000 annually|
|Location||Irvine, California, US|
|Campus||Multiple Campuses (26 in California and Washington + online)|
|Colors||Maroon & Gold|
|Affiliations||Regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) and by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Nationally accredited by The National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education|
Brandman University is a private, non-profit regionally accredited institution that provides educational opportunities for working adults. There are over 25 campuses throughout California and Washington, and a virtual campus online. The university offers more than 50 degree, certificate, credential and professional programs in business, arts and sciences, health and education.
Brandman is a separate, fully accredited university within the Chapman University System. Gary Brahm is the appointed Chancellor of Brandman University. He previously spent 14 years as Executive Vice President and CFO at Chapman University.
- 1 History
- 2 Accreditation
- 3 Rankings and awards
- 4 Military friendly
- 5 Curriculum
- 6 Academics
- 7 Alumni
- 8 Campus locations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
In 1958, Brandman was established by Chapman University in Orange, California that was founded in 1861. Formerly named Chapman University College, Brandman’s original purpose was delivering education to the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station in Irvine, CA.
Brandman University is a separate accredited institution and has recently expanded to serve a larger and diverse student population, such as military and adult learners. Brandman offers more than 53 accredited undergraduate and graduate degrees, teaching credentials and extended education programs offered online and on campus.
Brandman is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is a member of the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL). Additionally, the School of Nursing and Health Professions follows the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) standards and accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Teacher training programs offered through the School of Education are accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC)  and The National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The undergraduate social work program is accredited by CSWE.
Rankings and awards
U.S. News & World Report's Best Online Programs rankings have included Brandman University since the rankings began in 2012. The university consistently ranks well in undegraduate, graduate business, graduate education and MBA programs.
Brandman is a “Military-Friendly School” according to G.I. Jobs Magazine and Military.com and a Yellow Ribbon School. Brandman University offers reduced tuition rates for active military, their spouses and dependents. Brandman has campuses on military bases at Naval Base Kitsap Bangor, Naval Air Station Lemoore, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Travis Air Force Base, and the Navy Campus Education Center at the Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.
Brandman offers a curriculum model known as iDEAL (Instructional Design for Engaged Adult Learning). According to a study by the Lumina Foundation, iDEAL addresses both the flexibility and learning methodology preferred by adult learners. iDEAL combines traditional classroom instruction with e-learning activities. Courses are available as hybrid (combined in-person and online formats), fully online or comptency-based via Brandman MyPath.
The university offers degree programs through five schools: The Marybelle and S. Paul Musco School of Nursing and Health Professions; School of Education; School of Business and Professional Studies; School of Arts and Sciences; and School of Extended Education.
School of Nursing & Health Professions
The Brandman University Marybelle and S. Paul Musco School of Nursing and Health Professions was established in 2009 and welcomed its first cohort of Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) students in the Fall of 2010. Headed by Dean Tyke C. Hanisch, DNP, APRN, FNP-c, the school’s vision encourages nurses to “inquire, innovate and inspire”. Hanisch received her MS in Community Health Nursing and DNP at Arizona State University.
In addition to offering the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), Brandman offers a DNP in three specialty areas:
Adult Gerontology Acute Care
Family/Across the Lifespan
Psychiatric and Mental Health
School of Education
Brandman is the top 5 provider of teaching credentials among independent universities in California. The school offers credential and master's degree programs, and has partnerships with school districts and colleges across the state of California.
- Associate Dean Patricia Clark-White, Ed.D., a former superintendent of three California school districts and published author of The Politically Intelligent Leader: Dealing with the Dilemmas of a High Stakes Educational Environment.
- Founding Director of the Center for Instructional Innovation, Kimberly Greene, Ed.D., author of a series of young adult novels for pre-teen girls, and formerly Director of Education for Knowledge Kids Network with Michael Milken.
- Associate Dean of Special Education, School Psychology and Counseling, Lynn Larsen, Ph.D., coach of the Riverside Unified School District’s Odyssey of the Mind team, which won the California State Championship for the second consecutive year and which will compete in the world finals.
School of Business and Professional Studies
The School of Business and Professional Studies offers the following degree programs: Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership (BAOL), Bachelor of Science in Computing Technology (BSCT),Masters of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership (MAOL), Master of Science in Human Resources (MSHR) and Master of Public Administration (MPA). Brandman’s online Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) program was one of fourteen named to the Honor Roll in the first-ever edition of Top Online Education Program rankings by U.S. News & World Report in 2011. That year Brandman University was the only institution in California to receive this distinction and its School of Education earned the number ten spot among Faculty Credentials and Training for online graduate programs in Education.
- Glenn Worthington, Ed.D., dean of the business school, is a retired colonel from the U.S. Army Reserve with 37 years of active and reserve service. Dr. Worthington is a graduate of the U.S. Army War College and is a recipient of the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service in Saudi Arabia and Iraq during Desert Storm. He has been on the Chapman and Brandman faculty for over 15 years and earned “Faculty of the Year” from the Chapman Alumni Association.
The School of Arts and Sciences
The School of Arts and Sciences offers degree programs in psychology, social science, sociology, social work, liberal studies, legal studies, and criminal justice. Arts and Sciences also offers a Bachelor of Applied Studies program, which allows students to design their own curriculum. A Communications and Media degree was added in 2016.
- Jeremy Korr, Dean and Associate Professor of Brandman’s School of Arts and Sciences, chair of the university’s General Education Task Force and as Brandman University’s Lead Representative to the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) and the Council of Colleges of Arts & Sciences (CCAS).
- Melanie Borego, Ph.D., associate dean and associate professor
- Ned Camuso, Ph.D., associate dean and associate professor
- Ellen Baker Derwin, Ph.D., associate dean and associate professor
- Michael McGuire, Ph.D., associate dean and professor
The School of Extended Education
The School of Extended Education provides workshops, seminars, certificate programs and programming. Students take a single class through Extended Education, earn a certificate, or take classes prior to enrolling in a degree program that can lead to certification and academic credit.
- Nancy Salzman, Dean of Extended Education
The university has more than 100,000 alumni primarily working in Education, Business and Leadership positions. Distinguished alumni include local and regional Teachers of the Year, a Fulbright Scholar, state and congressional representatives and high-ranking military officers.
- Chauncey Veatch – 2002 Teacher of the Year
- Cindy Smith – Recipient of the 2011 PublicCEO Service to California Award
- Janice Voshall – Recipient of the 2011 PublicCEO Service to California Award
- Online, Nationwide
- Antelope Valley, CA
- Bangor NBK, WA
- Fairfield, CA
- Fort Lewis, WA
- Hanford, CA
- Irvine, CA
- Lacey, WA
- Lemoore NAS, CA
- McChord AFB, WA
- Menifee, CA
- Modesto, CA
- Monterey, CA
- Ontario, CA
- Palm Desert, CA
- Riverside, CA
- Roseville, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Santa Clarita, CA
- Santa Maria, CA
- Travis AFB, CA
- Victorville, CA
- Visalia, CA
- Walnut Creek, CA
- Whidbey Island, WA
- Yuba City, CA
- "History | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Fact Sheet | Brandman University" (PDF). Brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Locations | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. 2014-04-21. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "About | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Western Association of Schools and Colleges". wascsenior.org. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "SuperScholar.org". SuperScholar.org. 2011-04-12. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "CTC Accreditation Cohorts by Institution" (PDF). ctc.ca.gov. 2011-04-12. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Impact the Lives of Students". brandman.edu. 2016-05-10. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- "Brandman University". Military Friendly Schools. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Yellow Ribbon Program Schools in Washington for School Year 2010-2011". Army-Portal.com. 2010-09-25. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Bangor NBK | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Brandman University Lemoore NAS". brandman.edu. 2014-04-21. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Brandman University JBLM McChord". brandman.edu. 2014-04-21. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Travis AFB | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Whidbey Island NAS | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Brandman University | Non-profit Accredited University Degree Programs in California & Washington". Brandman.edu. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "What We Know About Adult Learners". Lumina Foundation. 2011-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Education" (PDF). U.S. Department of Education. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Nursing & Health Professions Dean's Welcome | Brandman University". www.brandman.edu. Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- "Sources | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. 2013-01-06. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Education | Brandman University". Brandman.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Advanced Search - Kimberly Greene: Books". Amazon.com. 2010-12-01. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Knowledge Kids Network, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Riverside teams take honors in Odyssey competition". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "School of Business and Professional Studies". Brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Best Online MBA Programs | Online Business School Rankings". US News. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Best Online Education Programs | Online Business School Rankings". US News. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Dean Worthington, School of Business and Professional Studies". brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Jeremy Korr | Arts and Sciences | Brandman University". brandman.edu. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
-  Archived August 26, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Dean Salzman, Extended Education, Brandman University". brandman.edu. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Chauncey Veatch - DLA". Dlassoc.com. 2002-04-24. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Chauncey Veatch - DLA". Dlassoc.com. 2002-04-24. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "California State Association of Counties". Publicseo.com. 2012-04-30. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brandman University.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chapman University.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universities and colleges in California.|