Cantu at the 2008 World Series of Poker
|Nickname(s)||The Bounty Hunter|
|Residence||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Born||May 10, 1981|
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
Brandon M. Cantu (born May 10, 1981 in Vancouver, Washington) is an American professional poker player. Upon winning a World Series of Poker bracelet in 2006, Cantu relocated to Las Vegas, Nevada. On March 14, 2007, Cantu became one of only 27 players to ever win both a World Series of Poker bracelet (2006) and a World Poker Tour championship (2008).
World Series of Poker
At the $1,500 No-Limit hold’em event in June 2006, Cantu won his first WSOP bracelet in a $1,500 No Limit Hold'em event, winning $757,839. The event was the largest live poker tournament outside of the main event, with 2,775 players.
At the Main Event of 2008, Cantu finished in 20th place out of 6844 entries, earning $257,334.
At the 2009 World Series of Poker, Cantu won his second bracelet in the $1,500 Pot-limit Omaha eight-or-better event, defeating fellow poker professional Lee Watkinson in heads-up play, and winning $228,867.
At the 2012 World Series of Poker Europe, Cantu took second in the 10K Mix Max losing to J.C. Aguilar.
World Series of Poker Bracelets
|2006||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||$757,839|
|2009||$1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha Eight-or-Better||$228,867|
World Poker Tour
Cantu has four cashes at the World Poker Tour (WPT) including finishing 18th place at the Festa Al Lago V in 2006 and 19th place at the World Poker Challenge in 2007, then in March 2008, he won his first WPT title at the Bay 101 Shooting Star championship earning $1,000,000 and was nicknamed "The Bounty Hunter" for earning an additional $30,000 in bounties for busting a record six notable poker professionals in the tournament known as "Shooting Stars" who along with their $5000 bounties they also relinquish a custom made t-shirt with that particular players image on it, Cantu's six bounties were; Bill Edler, John Juanda, Phil Laak, Joe Hachem who finished 20th, J. C. Tran who just missed the six person final table in 7th and Jennifer Harman who finished 3rd, also making the final table were non-designated pros John Phan (6th), Noah Jefferson (4th) and runner-up Steve Sung.
- "WPT profile - Brandon_Cantu". worldpokertour.com. Archived from the original on 2008-05-04. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- Polson, Sarah (June 30, 2006). "25-year-old Las Vegan wins $757,839 at WSOP". pokerlistings.com. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- Showell, Matthew (2008-03-15). "Bop! Brandon Cantu Wins WPT Shooting Star!". pokerlistings.com. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- "Brandon Cantu Wins the Bay 101 Shooting Star". cardplayer.com. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "WPT Bay 101 Shooting Star, Day 1A Recap". wptongsn.com. Archived from the original on 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Butt, Robert. "Brandon Cantu - stats". TheHendonMob.com. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- World Series of Poker Earnings Archived 2009-08-09 at the Wayback Machine., worldseriesofpoker.com