||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Brandon Colby, MD, MBA is an American physician, and writer on predictive medicine and genetic testing. Colby specializes in Personal Genomics and Anti-aging / Age Management Medicine and invented genetic technologies to personalize services and products to an individual's genes. He is the Founder and CEO of Sequencing.com.
Early life and education
Colby was born with epidermolysis bullosa simplex (EB), a rare genetic disease that causes the skin to be heat sensitive and blisters to form on the hands and feet when one's skin temperature rises above a certain level. This condition sparked his interest in genetics early in life and led to his lifelong commitment to make a difference in the world of medicine through the use of genetic technologies.
Colby founded Existence Genetics in 2005 and the business declared bankruptcy on November 21, 2012. Existence Genetics was a genetic analysis and genetic reporting company that provided the healthcare industry and health & wellness organizations with information about their client’s genes.
Colby was also Medical Director of Existence Health, a medical practice founded in 2010 and based in Los Angeles that provided predictive medicine services to its patients based upon a person’s genes.
Colby founded sequencing.com, which was online in beta throughout 2016 and launched in September 2016. At launch it offered free, HIPAA-compliant and EU-US Privacy Shield-compliant hosting of genomic sequencing data for individuals and for researchers, an API through which third parties could interface with the data it hosts, and an app store; its app store was initially populated with its own apps, some of which were free and some of which cost $10 per use and it intended to include third party apps as well. It intended to make money through its API and through its non-free apps.
In April 2011, Colby appeared on the "How to Outsmart Your Genes" episode of the TV show The Doctors. Existence Genetics performed genetic testing on several of show's guests and Colby discussed the results. The testing focused on male pattern baldness, sexual compatibility, preconception, and disease predisposition.
Colby has also appeared on ABC's Good Morning America (April 2010).
- staff, Eternity Medicine. Dr. Brandon Colby at Eternity Medicine Archived June 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Interview with Brandon Colby". Annuitydigest.com. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Staff, Eternity Medicine. Dr. Brandon Colby at Eternity Medicine Archived June 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Staff, business-bankruptcies.com. Existence Genetics, LLC bankruptcy information Accessed June 3, 2013
- Steve Parker. "Existence Genetics Ramps up for Widespread Test Service Launch, Eyes Whole-Genome Sequencing". GenomeWeb. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Ashford, Molika (27 September 2016). "Sequencing.com Hopes to Shepherd Growing Market of DIY Genomics Tools".
- Brendan Colby. Outsmart Your Genes: How Understanding Your DNA Will Empower You to Protect Yourself Against Cancer, Alzheimer's, Heart Disease, Obesity, and Many Other Conditions. Penguin, 2010. ISBN 0399535578
- Andrea Hoffmann and Panagiotis A Tsonis. Book Review: Outsmart Your Genes Human Genomics 2011, 5:516-517
- "Show Synopsis". Thedoctorstv.com. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- 04/14/2010 (2010-04-14). "Outsmart Your Genes". ABC News. Retrieved 2011-06-01.