Mann with the Yokohama BayStars
|Chiba Lotte Marines – No. 85|
|Born: May 16, 1984|
|NPB: August 27, 2011, for the Yokohama BayStars|
|MLB: May 13, 2018, for the Texas Rangers|
|NPB statistics |
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||4.27|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||5.40|
Brandon Michael Mann (born May 16, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Chiba Lotte Marines of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He previously played for the Yokohama BayStars/Yokohama DeNA BayStars of NPB and the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball (MLB).
Mann attended Mount Rainier High School in Des Moines, Washington. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays selected Mann in the 27th round of the 2002 MLB draft and signed him to a $47,500 signing bonus, with an additional $40,000 for college expenses. He reached Class AA in Minor League Baseball in 2009 and pitched in independent league baseball in 2010. In 2011 and 2012, Mann pitched for the Yokohama BayStars of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB).
After the 2012 season, Mann signed a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training with the Washington Nationals. He signed a minor league deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates on December 18, 2013. After starting the 2014 season with the Altoona Curve of the Class AA Eastern League, he was released in May, and played for the Lancaster Barnstormers of the independent Atlantic League of Professional Baseball for the remainder of the 2014 season. He had a 2-2 record and a 4.09 ERA in 20 games for Lancaster.
In 2015, he played for the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks of the independent American Association of Independent Professional Baseball. Mann set the American Association single-season strikeout record with 157 strikeouts in 143 2⁄3 innings pitched. After the season, his contract was purchased by the Oakland Athletics.
On February 16, 2016, Mann received an 80-game suspension after testing positive for Ostarine, a performance-enhancing substance. After serving his suspension, he was activated on June 30 and assigned to the Arizona League Athletics. In his first start for the rookie league team, Mann pitched five innings and allowed no runs on two hits while walking two batters and striking out five. He was then promoted to the Midland RockHounds of the Class AA Texas League for his next start.
On January 10, 2018, Mann signed a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers. He began the season with the Round Rock Express of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, and pitched to a 1–0 win–loss record and a 1.04 earned run average before he was promoted to the major leagues on May 13. He made his debut that same day against the Houston Astros, pitching 1 2⁄3 innings without allowing a run. At 33 years and 362 days old, Mann became the oldest player to make his Major League debut since Chang-Yong Lim in 2013 and the oldest North American player to make his Major League debut since Alan Zinter in 2002. On August 7, 2018, Mann was designated for assignment. He became a free agent after the season.
Mann and his wife, Sarah, were married in November 2017.
- Ken Mcmillan. "Renegades add new Mann to pitching staff". recordonline.com. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Kolko, Dan (February 25, 2013). "From D.C. to Japan and back – Nationals Pastime". Masnsports.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Usatoday.Com". Usatoday30.usatoday.com. March 17, 2011. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "Changes for 2012: Yokohama DeNA Baystars". NPB Tracker. January 28, 2012. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "Brandon Mann in Japan | The Highline Times / Des Moines News". Highlinetimes.com. April 16, 2012. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "Nationals | Brandon Mann signs – MLB Hot off the Wire". Kffl.com. January 9, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "After 16 years in minors, former Barnstormer Brandon Mann makes MLB debut with Rangers | MLB". lancasteronline.com. May 15, 2018. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- "RedHawks' Mann has contract bought by Oakland A's". WDAY. October 8, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- Wild, Danny (February 19, 2016). "A's Mann, Braves' Tate suspended by MLB". MiLB.com. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Brandon Mann Stats, Highlights, Bio". MiLB.com. June 30, 2016.
- "Brandon Mann Minor League Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- "Texas Rangers: Years on the bus, seasons in Japan and a banned substance didn't stop Brandon Mann from realizing major-league dreams | SportsDay". Sportsday.dallasnews.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Brandon Mann: Signs with Rangers". CBSSports.com. January 10, 2018. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "2013 Major League Baseball New Debuts". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "2002 Major League Baseball New Debuts". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "Texas Rangers claim Zac Curtis, designated Brandon Mann for assignment". Lone Star Ball. August 7, 2018. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- "ブランドン・マン投手 獲得について". 千葉ロッテマリーンズ オフィシャルサイト (in Japanese). January 14, 2018. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Stevenson, Stefan (January 5, 2018). "Texas Rangers: Brandon Mann, 34, close to MLB debut | Fort Worth Star-Telegram". Star-telegram.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.