Brandon Township, Michigan
Brandon Township, Michigan
|Charter Township of Brandon|
Brandon Township Hall
|• Supervisor||Kathy Thurman|
|• Charter township||35.8 sq mi (92.8 km2)|
|• Land||35.1 sq mi (90.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,037 ft (316 m)|
|• Charter township||15,175|
|• Density||420/sq mi (160/km2)|
|• Metro||4,296,250 (Metro Detroit)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
48348, 48371, 48462
|Area code(s)||248 and 810|
|GNIS feature ID||1625971|
Brandon Charter Township is a charter township of Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 15,175 at the 2010 census. Brandon Township is within the metro Flint, Michigan area, and competes in the Flint Metro League for high school sports.
The Township of Brandon was created in 1837, named in honor of the settlers of the Town of Brandon, Vermont, whose descendants had migrated to this area of Michigan. The Charter Township of Brandon was formed in the 20th century.
- The Village of Ortonville is located within the township and is geographically and politically a part of the township.
The Township has three unincorporated communities:
- Brandon Gardens is located on M-15/Ortonville Road and Glass Road ( Elevation: 971 ft./296 m.).
- Oakwood straddles the eastern border with Oxford Township at Baldwin and Oakwood Roads ( Elevation: 1099 ft./335 m.).
- Perry Lake Heights is located on Perry Lake west of Perry Lake Road ( Elevation: 1030 ft./314 m.).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (93 km2). 35.1 square miles (91 km2) of it is land and 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), or 2.15%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,765 people, 5,012 households, and 4,039 families residing in the township. The population density was 421.1 per square mile (162.6/km²). There were 5,290 housing units at an average density of 150.9 per square mile (58.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.58% White, 0.40% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.59% of the population.
There were 5,012 households out of which 45.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.8% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.4% were non-families. 15.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.92 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.6% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 35.2% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 5.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 100.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $66,458, and the median income for a family was $70,359. Males had a median income of $52,419 versus $32,068 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,011. About 3.0% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Brandon Township, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Brandon charter township, Oakland County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- Herman, Jennifer. Michigan Encyclopedia. State History Publications. p. 187. ISBN 9781878592941.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Brandon Gardens, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Oakwood, Michigan
- 1872 Plat Map of Oakwood, Oakland County, Michigan, accessed via ancestry.com paid subscription site in March 2019.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Perry Lake Heights, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map