|Social media software|
|Services||Social media analytics, social media monitoring|
Number of employees
Brandwatch is a social media monitoring company headquartered in Brighton, England. Brandwatch sells three different products: Analytics, Audiences, and Vizia. Brandwatch Analytics is a "self-serve application" or software as a service, which archives social media data in order to provide companies with information and the means to track specific segments to analyse their brands' online presence.
The tool's coverage includes blogs, news sites, forums, videos, reviews, images and social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. Users can search data by using Text and Image Search, and use charting, categorisation, sentiment analysis and other features to provide further information and analysis. Brandwatch has access to over 80 million sources.
The company was founded in 2005 by CEO Giles Palmer, in Brighton, England. Palmer initially co-founded a web-engineering firm called Runtime Collective, later named Magpie, in April 2000. In 2004, Palmer and the firm won a contract with the British government to build a search engine. After raising funds to take the search engine in a different direction, Brandwatch was created and completed by 2005. Magpie later became Brandwatch and launched in 2007.
The company has opened additional offices outside of the UK in Stuttgart, Berlin, New York, San Francisco, Singapore, and Paris. In September 2015, Brandwatch launched a French website. Brandwatch is a subscription-based service with over 1,000 clients.
The company received $6 million in venture capital from Nauta Capital in March 2012. In March 2014, Brandwatch partnered with Gnip, a social media API company, to release a new application that would allow users to access more social data and analytics. By May 2014, Brandwatch had gained $22 million from a new round of funding led by Highland Capital. On October 29, 2015, Brandwatch raised $33 million in Series C funding, led by Partech Investors, to invest further growth in the US.
In 2017, Brandwatch acquired the content marketing platform BuzzSumo. The two products continue to run in parallel. In 2018, Brandwatch announced a merger with their biggest competitor Crimson Hexagon. The new company will continue to be called Brandwatch. The merger officially closed on the 1st of November 2018.
- Butcher, Mike (March 15, 2012). "Social Monitoring Service Brandwatch Raises $6 Million To Expand In US". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "25 Top UK Startups". Mashable. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Image Insights: World Leading Logo Detection". Brandwatch. Retrieved 2018-02-24.
- Hofer-Shall, Zach. "The Enterprise Listening Platform Landscape". Forrester Research. Retrieved 2012-05-17. (Registration required (help)).
- Ingrid Lunden (22 May 2014). "Brandwatch Raises $22M To Boost Its Social Media Monitoring Platform". TechCrunch. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "History". Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- McClure, Marji. "Magpie Builds Its Brand As It Helps Companies Build Theirs". Information Today. Retrieved 28 June 2014. (Registration required (help)).
- James Pickford (20 May 2013). "Start-ups find their feet at 'Silicon Beach'". Financial Times. Retrieved 28 June 2014. (Registration required (help)).
- "Brandwatch: World-leading social listening". Brandwatch. Retrieved 2018-02-24.
- "New: Brandwatch Launches into France". Brandwatch. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- Jeremy Taylor (11 July 2012). "Social Media Monitoring Tips, Tricks, and Challenges: Interview with Giles Palmer, CEO and founder of Brandwatch". Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Shane Schutte (17 January 2014). "Brandwatch and CentraStage: The impact of subscription models". Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Garett Sloane (22 May 2014). "Brandwatch Raises $22 Million". AdWeek. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Eric Carter (20 March 2014). "Today in APIs: Brandwatch and Gnip Team Up, and 5 New APIs". Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Butcher, Mike. "Social Intelligence Startup Brandwatch Raises $33M Series C To Grow In US". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Social media monitor Brandwatch acquires content marketing platform BuzzSumo". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Social intelligence platforms Brandwatch and Crimson Hexagon to merge". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- Brandwatch (2018-11-01), Brandwatch and Crimson Hexagon Merger, retrieved 2018-11-02