Brasserie Les Halles
|Brasserie Les Halles|
Park Avenue South Location
|Food type||French bistro steakhouse|
|Street address||15 John Street|
|City||Manhattan, New York City|
Brasserie Les Halles was a French-brasserie-style restaurant located on 15 John Street (between Broadway & Nassau Street; in the Financial District) in Manhattan, New York City. Previous locations were on Park Avenue South in Manhattan, in Tokyo, Miami, and Washington, D.C. Author and television host Anthony Bourdain was the predecessor to the executive chef of Brasserie Les Halles, Carlos Llaguno. The restaurant went bankrupt in August 2017.
The restaurant served simple and classic French dishes such as escargot, foie gras, and steak tartare, which was prepared to order at tableside, and was renowned for its pommes frites. The original Park Avenue location featured a butcher shop that specialized in French cuts of meat. The Park Avenue location was featured prominently in the book Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, who also detailed many of Les Halles' recipes in Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook. The Downtown New York branch occupied the site of the former John Street Theatre, "Birthplace of American Theatre." The restaurant is named after Les Halles, the historic central wholesale marketplace in Paris, France.
The Park Avenue location of Les Halles closed in March 2016. The Washington, D.C. location of Les Halles closed in mid-November 2008 following a fifteen-year run. Owner Philippe Lajaunie cited difficulty obtaining a new lease as the reason. The Miami location is now closed as well.
- Brasserie Les Halles official site Archived January 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Les Halles | Manhattan | Restaurant Menus and Reviews. Zagat. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- "Former Bourdain Home Les Halles Shutters Last Outpost Amid Bankruptcy". ny.eater.com. Retrieved 29 December 2017.
- Cambridge Guide to the American Theatre (address). Retrieved January 27, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brasserie Les Halles.|
- Bourdain, Anthony (2001). Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly. Harper Perennial. ISBN 0-06-093491-3.
- Bourdain, Anthony (2004). Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook: Strategies, Recipes, and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking. Bloomsbury USA. ISBN 1-58234-180-X.