|Owner||Duvel Moortgat Brewery|
The Brasserie d'Achouffe is a Belgian brewery based in Achouffe. It was founded in 1982 by two brothers-in-law, Pierre Gobron and Christian Bauweraerts, as a hobby. In September 2006, the brewery was sold to the Duvel Moortgat brewery group.
In the late 1970s, the two brothers-in-law, Pierre Gobron and Chris Bauweraerts, decided to create their own beer, in their own brewery. On the 27th of August 1982, with less than 5,000Fr, they made the first 49-litre mash tub. Based on the legend of the Ardennes, a gnome was chosen as the company logo of the brewery. At first seen as a hobby, the Achouffe Brewery developed to such an extent that one after the other, Pierre and Chris decided work on it full time. They then decided to expand to the Netherlands. Drinkers who regularly enjoy the beer can usually be recognized by their 'Chouffewillo hat'. The annual La Grande Choufferie party, on the 2nd weekend of August, celebrates the birth of the Chouffe beer, in a convivial and musical atmosphere. In the late summer of 2006, Duvel Moortgat Brewery purchased the brewery.
The brewery produces 300,000 hectoliters of beer a year, which it exports to 72 countries.
Brasserie d'Achouffe produces several different beers, including:
- La Chouffe, a blond beer (8% ABV), available in 33cl and 75cl bottles, magnum (called "Big Chouffe") and 20l barrels.
- Mc Chouffe, a Scotch ale (brown beer, 8.0% ABV), available in 33cl and 75cl bottles, and in 20l barrels.
- Houblon Chouffe, a heavily hopped ale (triple beer, 9% ABV), available in 33cl and 75cl bottles, and in 20l barrels.
- N'Ice Chouffe, a winter beer (brown, 10% ABV), available in 33cl and 75cl bottles or in 20l barrels.
- Chouffe Bok 6666, an amber ale known as bockbeer (6,66% ABV), available in autumn in 33cl and 75cl bottles and barrels, only available in the Netherlands.
- Chouffe Soleil, a seasonal beer, made during the summer (6% ABV).
- "Cherry Chouffe", a cherry flavoured ale (8%).
It also produces other beverages:
- Esprit d'Achouffe, an eau de vie distilled from 5-years-old beer (40% ABV)
- Chouffe Coffee, a liquor made from Esprit d'Achouffe (25% ABV)
Patachouffe is a Belgian cheese created following the success of Chouffe beers. There are also Marcachouffe sausages made in partnership with the Ardennes smoked sausage manufacturer Marcassou.
- ^ "Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat neemt Brasserie d'Achouffe over". De Standaard.
- ^ On September 20, 1982, a tornado hit the Ardennes village of Léglise. The RTBF organized a benefit evening for the victims. During the TV show, a watercolor depicting a gnome caught my attention. That should be on the label, I thought immediately. An art teacher friend of mine designed our gnome. In April 1983 I saw our gnome for the first time. Kristof Lauwers: Chris Bauweraerts schrijft geschiedenis van La Chouffe. In: Nieuwsblad, 25 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2022.
- ^ "INTERVIEW: BRASSERIE D'ACHOUFFE FOUNDER CHRIS BAUWERAERTS". 14 January 2011. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- ^ Beertourism. Brasserie d’Achouffe. Retrieved August 2 2022.
- ^ "Brewery Achouffe". Archived from the original on 2017-02-02. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- Official website
- Brasserie d’Achouffe (in English) Brewery details from BeerTourism.com