Zoo Bratislava logo
White lion at ZOO Bratislava
|Date opened||9 May 1960|
|Land area||96 ha (240 acres)|
|Number of animals||1307 (2007)|
|Number of species||152 (2007)|
|Annual visitors||203,000 (2006)|
The ZOO Bratislava (Slovak: Zoologická záhrada Bratislava) is a zoo in Bratislava, Slovakia, in the borough of Karlova Ves. It lies in the Little Carpathians forest. As of 2007, the zoo has an area of 96-hectare (240-acre), and is home to 1,307 specimens of 152 animal species. In 2006, the zoo received 203,000 visitors.
A proposal to establish a zoo in Bratislava first appeared in 1948. Two alternatives presented for the zoo's location: Železná studienka within the Bratislava Forest Park and Mlynská dolina. The latter was chosen as the place for the new zoo, although it was first planned to be used as a part of a cultural park on the Danube riverfront. It was given an area of 9 hectares (22 acres), with a potential for expansion up to 90 hectares (220 acres) Construction began in 1959, and the zoo was officially opened on 9 May 1960. The zoo has undergone two major reductions, the first in 1981-1985, as a result of sewage system and motorway feeder construction, which reduced the area of the zoo to one-third, and the second in 2003, when construction for the D2 motorway access road to the Sitina Tunnel forced a relocation of the entrance gate.
The Bratislava Zoo contains a fine collection of a 147 species of animals and 617 animals in total. Many rare and interesting animals can be found in the zoo such as the :
- White lion (Panthera leo)
- White tiger with 3 new cubs (Panthera tigris tigris)
- Sri Lankan leopard (Panthera pardus kotiya)
- Caracal with two new cubs (Caracal melanotis)
- Jaguar (Panthera onca)
- Brown bear (Ursus arctos)
- Eurasian wolf (Canis lupus lupus)
- Red kangaroo (Macropus rufus)
- White rhinoceros (Ceratotherim simum simu)
- Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis rotschildi)
- Zebra (Equus grevyi)
- Barbary ape (Macaca sylvanus)
- Red panda (Ailurus fulgens)
In the indoor enclosures you will find numerous reptiles, birds, and mammals such as:
- Ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta)
- Meerkat (Suricata suricatta)
- Golden-handed tamarin (Saguinus midas midas)
- Silvery marmoset with a new baby (Mico argentatus)
- African dwarf crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis)
- Snowy owl (Bubo scandiacus)
- "EAZA Member Zoos & Aquariums". eaza.net. EAZA. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Visit Bratislava - Facts and Figures (opens a page with link to PDF file)". City of Bratislava. 2007. Retrieved 5 May 2007.
- "ZOO Bratislava - História (history)" (in Slovak). Bratislava Zoo. Retrieved 19 May 2007.
Media related to Bratislava Zoo at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (Slovak)