Braulio Alonso High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Braulio Alonso High School|
|8302 Montague Street
Tampa, Florida 33635
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Enrollment||2713 (Fall 2015)|
|Rival||Sickles High School|
Braulio Alonso High School is a public high school located in Hillsborough County, Florida, USA. Sandy Bunkin was the school's first principal, and retired after five years. She was replaced by Louie Diaz, who was the Assistant Principal of Athletics for the first two years the school was open, then became the principal of Jefferson High School.
Alonso High was the largest high school in Hillsborough County in the 2014-2015 school year, before the opening of a 500-student addition at Newsome.
Alonso High School's mascot is the Raven.
As of 2015, Alonso High School is 52% Hispanic, 30% White, 7% Black, 4% Asian, 6% multi-racial, and 1% other.
Alonso High School currently offers the following sports:
- Baseball (Varsity, JV)
- Football (Varsity, JV)
- Soccer (boys' and girls')
- Basketball (Varsity and JV, boys' and girls')
- Wrestling (Varsity and JV)
- Tennis (boys' and girls')
- Swimming (boys' and girls')
- Golf (boys' and girls')
- Volleyball (Varsity and JV)
- Softball (girls' Varsity)
- Cross country (boys' and girls')
- Girls' flag football (Varsity and JV)
- District Champions - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Regional Champions - 2010, 2011, 2014
- State Runner-Up - 2010, 2011
- Track (boys' and girls')
- Amnesty International
- APAC (Asian Pacific American Club)
- CARS (Citizens Against Road Slaughter)
- DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) Marketing & Fashion
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
- FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)
- FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America)
- HOSA (Health Occupation Students of America)
- Illusions (literary magazine)
- Interact Club (service club)
- JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps)
- Key Club (service club)
- Model United Nations
- Mu Alpha Theta
- National Beta Club
- NHS (National Honor Society)
- SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions)
- Spirit Club
- SWAT (Students Working Against Tobacco)
- Teen Trendsetters (reading mentors)
- TV Production
- Anthony Chickillo, NFL defensive lineman for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Leger Douzable, NFL defensive tackle
- Jose Fernandez, former pitcher for the Miami Marlins
- Trinidad James, Trinidadian-American rapper
- Anastasia Dawson - Tribune Staff (2 August 2015). "Overcrowding at Hillsborough schools prompts redistricting discussion". TBO.com. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- staff. "Fall 2012 FHSAA member school student population report". FHSAA.org. FHSAA. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
-  Archived May 31, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Alonso JROTC webpage Archived December 16, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- Thespians Archived May 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Anthony Chickillo Draft Profile – NFL.com". NFL.com. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Cotey, John (21 May 2009). "Alonso High School sophomore Jose Fernandez knows pitching is hardly matter of life or death considering how he arrived in the United States from Cuba". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 18 June 2014.