Brazil national cricket team
|Association||Brazilian Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Affiliate (2002)|
|ICC region||ICC Americas|
|WCL||n/a (regional tournaments)|
|First international|| Brazil v. Argentina
|As of 4 September 2015|
The Brazil national cricket team represents the country of Brazil in international cricket matches. The team is organised by the Brazilian Cricket Association (Cricket Brasil), which became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2002. However, the national side has a history dating back much longer, with its first recorded international match coming against Argentina in 1888. Regular international competition commenced in the 1920s, and resumed in the 1950s after a gap during World War II. Almost all of Brazil's matches have come against other South American sides, although in recent years the team has participated in several ICC Americas tournaments, which include sides from Central America and North America. At the South American Championships, which commenced in 1995, Brazil has played in all but one edition, with a best finish of second at the 1997 tournament.
In April 2018, the ICC granted full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Brazil and another international side after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
Brazil became an ICC member in 2002. Its ICC tournament debut came in 2006, when Brazil took part in Division Three of the ICC Americas Championship in Suriname. Although Brazil lost all three opening games in that tournament, no doubt due to lack of international exposure, its cricket has developed since then.
Brazil won the 2009 ICC Americas Championship Division Three, winning all of its matches against Belize, Chile and Peru. This victory enabled Brazil to qualify for the 2010 ICC Americas Championship Division Two.
However, Brazil seemingly struggled at this higher level, thus after losing all of their four matches, were relegated to Division Three.
At the South American Championship, Brazil has participated in all but one edition since the tournament began in 1995, with its best finish being second at the 1997 event.
ICC Americas Championship
- 2000–04: did not participate
- 2006: Division Three fourth place
- 2008: Division Three fifth place
- 2009: Division Three won
- 2010: Division Two fifth place
- Argentina – International Cricket Council. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Other matches played by Brazil – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- South American Championships 1997/98 – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "All T20I matches to get international status". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Country: Brazil – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Brazil at Cricinfo
- Cricket Brasil – Brazilian Cricket Association (in Portuguese) / (in English)
- www.brasilcricket.org (archived 2013) (in English)
|This article about sports in Brazil is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a cricket team is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|