Brazos Independent School District
|Brazos Independent School District|
ESC Region 6
|Type||Public Independent school district|
|Grades||EE through 12|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||63.94 (2011-12) (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Student-teacher ratio||13.39 (2011-12)|
|Athletic conference||UIL Class 2A Football Division II|
|TEA District Accountability Rating for 2011-12||Recognized|
Brazos Independent School District is a public school district based in Wallis, Texas (USA). The district lies in two counties, Austin and Fort Bend. In addition to Wallis, the district also serves the city of Orchard.
As of the 2010-2011 school year, the appraised valuation of property in the district was $326,473,000. The maintenance tax rate was $0.104 and the bond tax rate was $0.036 per $100 of appraised valuation.
In 2011, the school district was rated "recognized" by the Texas Education Agency. Thirty-five percent of districts in Texas in 2011 received the same rating. No state accountability ratings will be given to districts in 2012. A school district in Texas can receive one of four possible rankings from the Texas Education Agency: Exemplary (the highest possible ranking), Recognized, Academically Acceptable, and Academically Unacceptable (the lowest possible ranking).
Historical district TEA accountability ratings
- 2011: Recognized
- 2010: Recognized
- 2009: Recognized
- 2008: Recognized
- 2007: Academically Acceptable
- 2006: Academically Acceptable
- 2005: Academically Acceptable
- 2004: Academically Acceptable
In the 2012-2013 school year, the district had students in four schools.
- Regular instructional
- Brazos High School (Grades 9-12)
- Brazos Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Brazos Elementary School (Grades EE-5)
- Alternative instructional
- Prairie Harbor Alternative School (Grades 5-12)
Brazos High School participates in the boys sports of baseball, basketball, football, swimming, and wrestling. The school participates in the girls sports of basketball, softball, and volleyball. For the 2012 through 2014 school years, Brazos High School will play football in UIL Class 2A Division II.
The Mighty Brazos Cougar Band is available for all grades to join. Run by Rolando Cantu and Ms. Wallace, the program currently includes a marching contest and concert and site reading contest. There is also a Jazz Band to join which performs for the public.
- Texas School Directory 2013-14 (PDF). Austin, Texas: Texas Education Agency. February 2014. p. 46. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Brazos ISD". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "UIL Alignments". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Brazos High School". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System District Ratings for 2004 through 2011". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System Summary of Ratings for 2004 through 2011(as of November 2, 2011) District Ratings by Rating Category (including Charter Operators)". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Accountability Rating System for Texas Public Schools and Districts". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 11 August 2012.