Brazosport Independent School District
|Brazosport Independent School District|
|301 W. Brazoswood Dr.|
|Type||Independent School District|
|Motto||Setting the Standard for Educational Excellence!|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||800 (2014-15) (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Student-teacher ratio||12.63 (2009-10)|
|TEA District Accountability Rating for 2011-12||Academically Acceptable|
Brazosport Independent School District is a school district based in Clute, Texas (USA) in Greater Houston. The district serves the cities, towns, and villages of Clute, Freeport, Jones Creek, Lake Jackson, Oyster Creek, Quintana, Richwood, and Surfside Beach. In addition it serves the unincorporated area of Turtle Cove.
The district opened in 1944.
Prior to 2013 the district had contracts with the police forces of Clute, Freeport, and Lake Jackson to provide police services to the district. In 2013 the district decided to end the contracts and create a district police department. The yearly cost to maintain this department would be $32,000.
As of the 2010-2011 school year, the appraised valuation of property in the district was $6,406,446,000. The maintenance tax rate was $0.104 and the bond tax rate was $0.020 per $100 of appraised valuation.
In 2011, the school district was rated "academically acceptable" by the Texas Education Agency. Forty-nine percent of districts in Texas in 2011 received the same rating. No state accountability ratings will be given to districts in 2012. A school district in Texas can receive one of four possible rankings from the Texas Education Agency: Exemplary (the highest possible ranking), Recognized, Academically Acceptable, and Academically Unacceptable (the lowest possible ranking).
Historical district TEA accountability ratings
- 2011: Academically Acceptable
- 2010: Recognized
- 2009: Academically Acceptable
- 2008: Academically Acceptable
- 2007: Academically Acceptable
- 2006: Academically Acceptable
- 2005: Academically Acceptable
- 2004: Academically Acceptable
- Brazoswood High School (Clute; Grades 9-12; Mascot: Buccaneers)
- Brazosport High School (Freeport; Grades 9-12; Mascot: Exporters)
- Clute Intermediate School (Clute; Grades 5-6 & 7-8; Mascot: Cougars)
Intermediate Schools (7-8)
- Freeport Intermediate School (Freeport; Grades 7-8; Mascot: Redskins)
- Lake Jackson Intermediate School (Lake Jackson; Grades 7-8; Mascot: Panthers)
Middle Schools (5-6)
- R. O'Hara Lanier Middle School (Freeport; Grades: 5-6; Mascot: Lions)
- Grady B. Rasco Middle School (Lake Jackson; Grades: 5-6; Mascot: Rockets)
- Stephen F. Austin Elementary (Jones Creek; Grades: PreK-6)
- A. P. Beutel Elementary School (Lake Jackson; Grades: K-4)
- Bess Brannen Elementary School (Lake Jackson; Grades: K-4)
- O. A. Fleming Elementary School (Freeport; Grades: K-1)
- Madge Griffith Elementary School (Clute; Grades: K-4)
- Elisabeth Ney Elementary School (Lake Jackson; Grades: K-4)
- T. W. Ogg Elementary (Clute; Grades: K-4)
- Gladys Polk Elementary (Richwood; Grades: K-4)
- O. M. Roberts Elementary (Lake Jackson; Grades: K-4)
- Velasco Elementary School (Freeport; Grades: 2-4)
- Lighthouse Learning Center (Clute; All Grades)
The district was formed in the year 1944 when all the existing school districts merged into one.
- "Texas School Directory 2012" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Brazosport ISD". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System District Ratings for 2004 through 2011". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "About BISD" (Archive) Brazosport Independent School District. Retrieved on March 22, 2014.
- Daughtry, Shannon. "Brazosport ISD to form own police force." Brazosport Facts. February 7, 2013. Retrieved on March 22, 2014.
- "Texas Accountability System Summary of Ratings for 2004 through 2011(as of November 2, 2011) District Ratings by Rating Category (including Charter Operators)". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 7 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Accountability Rating System for Texas Public Schools and Districts". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 24 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF) Archived March 26, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Microsoft Word - 2007-schools.doc
- Home page (Archive). Brazosport Independent School District. Retrieved on March 22, 2014. "Brazosport ISD 301 West Brazoswood Drive Clute, TX 77531"
- "Home page" (). Brazosport Independent School District. March 1, 2001. Retrieved on March 22, 2014. "Physical Address: 301 W. Brazoswood Drive, Clute, TX 77531 Mailing Address: P.O. Drawer Z, Freeport, TX 77541-1926"