This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Song by Budgie|
|from the album Never Turn Your Back on a Friend|
|Songwriter(s)||Tony Bourge/Ray Phillips/Burke Shelley|
"Breadfan" is a heavy metal song originally recorded by Budgie, appearing on their 1973 album Never Turn Your Back on a Friend. The title refers to a person's relationship to money, with "bread" being slang for money. The lyrics further highlight the moral dilemmas on what to do with money; keep it, give it away, spend it and to ultimately be free of it and not to let it rule your life. The song was featured in video game Brütal Legend and its introduction used in Brazilian television sports news programme Globo Esporte.
The original 1973 album version had an initial 17 second excerpt of Winston Churchill's acceptance speech to the British House of Commons on 13 May 1940, citing the words: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.". Due to copyright issues it was omitted from subsequent album pressings.
Metallica released a cover of the song in September 1988 as a B-side to their "Eye of the Beholder" single. It was later included on their 1998 album Garage Inc., and was also used as an encore during their 1988-1989 tour supporting their ...And Justice for All album. A live video version is present on the Live Shit: Binge & Purge boxed set, taken from their Seattle concerts on August 29 and 30, 1989 where it was performed in the second encore. It was frequently used as an opener on the Shit Hits the Sheds Tour, and was also played with frequency during the Madly In Anger with the World and World Magnetic Tours. A short clip of "Breadfan" is played at the beginning of the "Whiskey in the Jar" music video.
Other notable covers
- Sweet Savage at the 2008 Wacken Open Air festival.
- The Japanese band Ningen Isu also cover the song and it was recorded on their 1990 album No Longer Human under the name "Spiny Mountain in Hell" as well as many live performances. Their version is translated and sung in Japanese.
- Guarisco, Donald A. "Breadfan - Budgie | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Prato, Greg. "Never Turn Your Back on a Friend - Budgie | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- "Trilha sonora do game 'Brütal legend' traz clássicos do heavy metal". G1 (in Portuguese). São Paulo. August 10, 2009. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Nothing Like Vinyl (2018-12-22), Budgie - Breadfan (original version with Sir Winston Churchill's spoken intro), retrieved 2019-01-11
- Rivadavia, Eduardo (June 6, 2018). "The Roots of Progressive Metal in 11 Songs". Loudwire. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Breadfan - Metallica @ allmusic
- Founding BUDGIE Member RAY PHILLIPS Working On Solo Debut Archived December 6, 2008, at the Wayback Machine