Break Up to Make Up
|"Break Up to Make Up"|
|Single by The Stylistics|
|from the album Round 2|
|B-side||"You and Me"|
|Genre||Soul, Philly soul|
|Songwriter(s)||Thom Bell, Linda Creed, Kenneth Gamble|
|The Stylistics singles chronology|
An R&B ballad, it was the seventh track from their 1972 album Round 2 and was released as a single and reached number 5 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. It also climbed to number 5 in the Billboard R&B chart and reached number 34 in the UK Singles Chart in April 1973. The Stylistics' recording sold over one million copies in the US, earning the band a gold disc The award was presented by the RIAA on April 6, 1973. It was the band's fourth gold disc.
"Break Up to Make Up" has been covered many times, including:
- In 1973 by Johnny Mathis.
- A semi-instrumental version by The Cecil Holmes Soulful Sounds included in the album Music For Soulful Lovers (1973).
- Jean Carne covered the song in 1986.
- Freestyle singer Cynthia covered the song in 1991.
- R&B singer Will Downing covered the song on his 1993 album, Love's the Place to Be.
- The Trammps also covered the song in 1993.
- Jamaican-Canadian reggae singer Leroy Sibbles also covered the song in 1995.
- Joan Osborne covered the song in 2007 for her album, Breakfast in Bed.
|Canada RPM Top Singles||37|
|US Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard)||5|
|US R&B (Billboard)||5|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||20|
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 351. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Lytle, Craig. "Round 2". AllMusic. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Allmusic - Charts & Awards
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 537. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Hot The Stylistics - Chart history: The Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- "The Stylistics - Chart history: Adult Contemporary". Billboard. Retrieved January 20, 2017.