Breakdown (Seether song)
|Single by Seether|
|from the album Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces|
|Released||9 August 2008|
|Seether singles chronology|
"Breakdown" is the third track and the third single from Seether's third album, Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces. Shaun Morgan has stated that the song is about his former girlfriend Amy Lee, but other sources reference a more recent relationship. To further the point, Morgan has been quoted saying "Amy and I, at our worst moments, were still better than this last girl and I at our best moments". Morgan says that he did not anticipate "Breakdown" to be such a popular song; he wrote the song to air out his feelings. Morgan also says that Lee has influenced other Seether songs, as well.  In addition, Morgan has also said that "The song is about not allowing yourself to be beaten down by what people say about you and kind of believing in yourself, and ultimately knowing that you'll be better for it". 
The song was released to radio in the middle of August 2008 and quickly became one of the most added singles to active rock radio at the time.
The music video for Breakdown premiered on November 12, 2008, on Yahoo! Music. Tony Petrossian, who directed their previous videos for "Fake It" and "Rise Above This", also made this video.
In the video, Jenna Westerbeck approaches Shaun from behind and manipulates his head, which becomes a Rubik's Cube at her touch. Throughout the video, Shaun's face changes emotions in each cube, and as the video progresses, different people (including the rest of Seether) appear in the cube, lip-syncing to the background vocals. Towards the end of the bridge, the girl opens up the cube, removing blocks featuring other women. She then finds a block that features only her, and places it in the space for Shaun's eye. She then closes the box, gives it one last spin, and the cube effect disappears. She then walks out of frame as Morgan looks at her with a sense of distaste and disappointment.
This was the first video to feature the band's new lead guitarist Troy McLawhorn.
- "Breakdown" has been played a total of 189 times (188 times by Seether, and 1 time by lead singer Shaun Morgan). 
- The song was first performed in concert at The Rock Nightclub in Maplewood, MN on October 8, 2007. 
- The song was most recently performed in concert at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ on May 10, 2017. 
- "Breakdown" was performed most often in 2009, 2011, and 2014, at 29 times. "Breakdown" was performed least often in 2007, at 2 times. 
|Billboard Canadian Hot 100||98|
|U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100||6|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||4|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||4|
- "Seether Brakedown with intro about Amy Lee". YouTube. 2010-08-14. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Harris, Chris (2007-07-18). "Seether Frontman Won't Respond To Amy Lee's Attack: 'I Just Refuse To Lower Myself To That Level' - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
|This 2000s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|