Breakfast in America (song)
|"Breakfast in America"|
|Single by Supertramp|
|from the album Breakfast in America|
|Recorded||1978 at The Village Recorder/Studio B, Los Angeles, California|
|Genre||Progressive rock[full citation needed]|
|Songwriter(s)||Roger Hodgson, Rick Davies|
|Producer(s)||Supertramp, Peter Henderson|
|Supertramp singles chronology|
"Breakfast in America" is the title track from Supertramp's 1979 album of the same name. It was a minor hit on the singles charts in the US, but was a Top 10 hit in the UK. The lyrics tell about a person who has never been to the United States, and fantasizes about it.
After Supertramp started performing the song during a reunion tour without Roger Hodgson, Hodgson told reporters that Rick Davies initially "hated" the song, and that he believed Davies did not play on the recording at all. However, in other interviews Hodgson has credited Davies with creating the vocalized retort line, "What's she got? Not a lot." Hodgson included the song in his 2010 world tour, produced as a live album titled Classics Live.
The 2005 song "Cupid's Chokehold" by Gym Class Heroes heavily utilizes the melody of "Breakfast in America" and features Fall Out Boy singer Patrick Stump performing the opening lines of the song as a refrain.
- Roger Hodgson: piano, lead vocals, harmonium, electric guitar
- Rick Davies: harpsichord, backing vocals
- John Helliwell: clarinet, backing vocals
- Dougie Thomson: bass
- Bob Siebenberg: drums
- Slyde Hyde: trombone, tuba
|German Singles Chart||23|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||62|
- Melhuish 1986.
- Supertramp UK chart history, The Official Charts. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Roger Hodgson Explains His Reaction To Supertramp Tour - Undercover.fm News". Undercover.fm. 25 April 2010. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "CRR Interview - Roger Hodgson: What's He Got? Quite A Lot!". Classicrockrevisited.com. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Chartverfolgung / Supertramp / Single". Music Line (in German). Germany: Media Control Charts. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Breakfast in America". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- allmusic ((( Supertramp > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))