Breakfast with Hector
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|Running time||120 minutes (7:00-9:00 am)|
|Home station||RTÉ 2fm|
|Host(s)||Hector Ó hEochagáin|
|Recording studio||Studio 1, RTÉ Galway, Hynes Building, Galway|
|Air dates||4 October 2010 to 20 December 2013|
|Audio format||FM and Digital radio|
|Podcast||Breakfast with Hector|
Breakfast with Hector was a breakfast radio programme on RTÉ 2fm in Ireland, presented by Hector Ó hEochagáin from 4 October 2010. It was broadcast at 7:00–9:00 am each weekday from Galway. It was confirmed on 18 December 2013 that Ó hEochagáin would be leaving the show and returning to TV work. The last show was broadcast on Friday, 20 December 2013. The last show ended with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2.
The show was two hours long, with news and sport reports read half-hourly between 7:00 and 9:00. A typical half-hour segment contained fifteen to twenty minutes of chat, discussing Ó hEochagáin's life, music, popular culture, or listeners' issues. There were regular celebrity guest interviews, with occasional live music performances. The show relied on a number of on-air contributions from background staff, with members of the production team, news and sports readers, and studio guests contributing throughout the show.
- Hector Ó hEochagáin
- Host of the show.
- Emma Counihan
- Regular newsreader.
- Louise Herity
- Regular sports newsreader, now a regular presenter on 98fm.
- Aoife Carragher
- AA Roadwatch team leader.
- Dan "the Gun" O'Neill
- AA Roadwatch announcer.
- Alan "Feathers" Swan
- The show's producer who frequently interrupts Ó hEochagáin from the background. Alan now produces the Nicky Byrne Show on 2fm.
- Ronan Casey
- Presenter of the weekly segment, "Medium Sized Town, Fairly Big Story". A book of the same name by Ronan was published in October 2014 by Gill & Macmillan. Ronan is currently part of the Ireland AM team.
- How's the Country this Morning?
- Listeners ring or text the programme with their stories or problems. Ó hEochagáin accepts telephone calls on air to discuss quirky or off-beat topics such as weird tattoos, how shillelaghs are made and driving incidents.
- Medium Sized Town, Fairly Big Story
- A weekly segment in which Ronan Casey reports some of the more unusual or funny stories from local newspapers in Ireland.
- Evelyn's Word of the Day
- A daily segment, usually airing after the 8:30 news headlines, in which newsreader Evelyn McClafferty introduces her word of the day. On Wednesday's Focal na Seachtaine offers listeners a word in the Irish language.
- The Birth Notices
- A weekly segment, usually airing on Thursdays, where Ó hEochagáin reads out good wishes to new-born babies and their parents.
- Class Act
- A daily quiz in which two contestants answer general knowledge questions. Winners return each day until they are eliminated.
- Where am I?
- An occasional quiz in which Ó hEochagáin tries to discover the Irish provenance of callers by asking them a maximum of ten questions.
- Everything you wanted to know about the weekend, but didn't really delve into...
- A weekly segment in which Bernard O'Shea (now the host of the 2FM breakfast show himself) reports on some of the bigger news stories from the weekend.
- My Automobile Association
- Listeners rang and texted the programme with their road traffic tips.
- What Class of Vehicle is She?
- A phone-in quiz in which Ó hEochagáin played a short audio clip of a car or tractor starting up. Listeners tried to guess what the vehicle was.
- What Class of a Dog is She?
- A variation on the "What Class of a Vehicle is She?" segment. A phone-in quiz in which Ó hEochagáin played a short audio clip of a dog barking. Listeners tried to guess the dog's breed.
- "'The journey has come to an end and that's all it is' Hector tells listeners on 2FM show". Irish Independent. 18 December 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Breakfast with Hector - at Night!". RTÉ Ten (RTÉ). 16 February 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
-  Hector's 2fm Elvis Olympia Extravaganza (17 February 2012)
The Colm & Jim-Jim Breakfast Show
|RTÉ 2fm's breakfast show
2010 – 2013