|Also known as||
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||41|
|Running time||44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hot Snakes Media|
|Original release||September 9, 2012– June 4, 2017|
Breaking Amish: Brave New World|
Breaking Amish: Los Angeles
Breaking Amish: Brooklyn
Breaking Amish is an American reality television series on the TLC television network that debuted September 9, 2012. The series revolves around five young Anabaptist adults (four Amish and one Mennonite) who move to New York City in order to experience a different life and decide whether to return to their communities or remain outside their communities and face potential ostracism by their family and friends. It follows the cast members as they experience life in New York and face new situations involving work, friendship, romance, and lifestyle, plus the drama that develops between cast members as they undergo various experiences.
The cast-members' move to New York City differs from Rumspringa, the rite of passage in which some 16-year-old Amish are allowed to experience the outside world and to decide whether or not they wish to remain with their home communities.
A spinoff of Breaking Amish, entitled Breaking Amish: Los Angeles, debuted on July 21, 2013, with a different cast.
On May 1, 2014, it was announced that Breaking Amish had spawned yet another spin-off, entitled Return to Amish. The spinoff followed Breaking Amish season 1 cast members who all lived in Pennsylvania at the time of production, except for Kate, who resided in New York City. The two-hour premiere debuted on June 1, 2014, with the season airing seven episodes. TLC has since considered Return to Amish as a season of Breaking Amish and not a spinoff.
The second spinoff of Breaking Amish entitled Breaking Amish: Brooklyn debuted on September 18, 2014, with a new cast.
A fourth season of Breaking Amish returning under the title Return to Amish premiered on May 31, 2015. The fourth season will be Mary's last, with it possibly being the final season altogether.
On June 14, 2016, it was reported that Breaking Amish had been renewed for a fifth season (Return to Amish for a third season), with a premiere date of July 10, 2016. A trailer released by TLC revealed much of the original cast returning, including Mary, who reportedly would not return for a fifth season, and Sabrina, who appeared in seasons one, two and three, but was absent from the fourth.
- 1 Controversy
- 2 Cast
- 3 Episodes
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Shortly after the first episode was aired, several news outlets reported that all of the cast had left their respective communities prior to taping the show, or that they were already married. It also has been reported that the relationships between cast members were portrayed falsely and that there were many inconsistencies between fact and the reality that was represented in the television program. The production has been forthcoming with some of the 'non-Amish' activities in the background of the cast. As episodes progressed, the production steadily revealed other aspects of the cast's past activities, including items not previously released as spoilers by other media outlets.
Some of the information shared on air by the cast during the production:
- In episode 1 it is shown that Kate had spent time in Florida, driving and getting a DUI.
- In the extended version of episode 3 Jeremiah states that he was kicked out of the Amish three different times, dressing 'English' each time. ('English' was typically used in the series to mean "non-Anabaptist.")
- In episode 6 Jeremiah states, when Abe talks about marrying Rebecca, that he was once married.
- In episode 7 Abe and Rebecca discuss how they used to sneak off – with her boyfriend and with others – to dress 'English' and go bowling.
- In episode 7 Rebecca discusses how Abe once moved to Kentucky and she to North Dakota, renewing their friendship when they returned to their Amish community.
- In episode 8 Sabrina discusses the fact that she had been married, in 2009, to a Mennonite man – and that marrying a best friend does not always work out.
- In episode 10 Rebecca states that she had been married directly after her 18th birthday in 2009 and divorced in July 2012. She also mentions that she has a daughter.
- In episode 12 the group discuss the fact that many Amish teenagers will sneak out and dress 'English', and so it is no surprise to find pictures of them, or many other teenage Amish, during excursions outside of the community.
|Abe Schmucker||22||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Jeremiah Raber||32||Ex-Amish||Adopted by an Amish family, grew up in Holmes County, Ohio.|
|Kate Stoltzfus||21||Ex-Amish||Daughter of a bishop, grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, previously spent some time in Florida.|
|Rebecca Byler||20||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Sabrina High||26||Mennonite||Adopted by a Mennonite family, born to Puerto Rican and Italian parents.|
Season 2: Brave New World
|Rebecca Byler-Schmucker ||21||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. Has one daughter. Got married to Abe in the season finale of Breaking Amish, and is currently expecting her second child.|
|Kate Stoltzfus||22||Ex-Amish||Daughter of a bishop, grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, previously spent some time in Florida.|
|Abe Schmucker||23||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. Got married to Rebecca on the season finale of Breaking Amish, and is currently expecting a child with her.|
|Sabrina High||26||Ex-Mennonite||Adopted by a Mennonite family, born to Puerto Rican and Italian parents.|
|Jeremiah Raber||33||Ex-Amish||Adopted by an Amish family, grew up in Holmes County, Ohio.|
Abe's mother Mary Schmucker and little sister Katie Ann Schmucker are major recurring cast members this season ^Note 1 : Age at the time of filming.
Season 3: Return to Amish
|Abe Schmucker||24||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Jeremiah Raber||33||Amish||Adopted by an Amish family, grew up in Holmes County, Ohio.|
|Kate Stoltzfus||23||Ex-Amish||Daughter of a bishop, grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, previously spent some time in Florida. Currently lives in New York City and has a small dog.|
|Rebecca Schmucker||22||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Sabrina High||28||Ex-Mennonite||Adopted by a Mennonite family, born to Puerto Rican and Italian parents.|
|Mary Schmucker||Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Chester Schmucker||Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Katie Ann Schmucker||19||Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Andrew Schmucker||Ex-Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Chapel Peace Schmucker||"English"||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Season||Episodes||Season Premiere||Season Finale|
|1||12||September 9, 2012||November 18, 2012|
|2||10||May 12, 2013||July 14, 2013|
|3||9||May 22, 2014||July 20, 2014|
|4||8||May 31, 2015||July 19, 2015|
|5||8||July 10, 2016||August 28, 2016|
|6||6||April 30, 2017||June 4, 2017|
Season 1 (2012)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1||1||"Jumping the Fence"||September 9, 2012||3.09|
|The premiere of a reality series following five men and women from Amish and Mennonite communities as they seek the possibility of leaving their old lives behind for new ones in New York City, though they also run the risk of saying good-bye to their family and friends forever.|
|2||2||"What Have We Gotten Ourselves Into?"||September 16, 2012||2.88|
|The Amish find themselves in chaotic and vibrant New York City. Romance may be in the offing as the newcomers adjust to life in New York City, but their fresh start also comes with an air of tension.|
|3||3||"Breaking All the Rules"||September 23, 2012||2.78|
|The cast breaks Amish & Mennonite rules by buying "English" clothes and getting tattoos. The cast grows more comfortable in the city when they get wardrobe makeovers and tattoos, and Kate and Rebecca mull modeling careers, but surprise visits by Abe's and Rebecca's families could put an end to this experiment. Also, Jeremiah has his first driving lesson.|
|4||4||"New Beginnings"||September 30, 2012||3.00|
|Rebecca confronts a difficult episode from her past. Kate succumbs to the pressure of being shunned by her family. Sabrina tries to find out more about her ethnic background. Jeremiah continues his driving lessons with a different instructor.|
|5||5||"What Is Really Happening?"||October 7, 2012||2.43|
|The cast discusses the pros and cons of the Amish life. Abe accompanies Jeremiah to a strip club. Rebecca uncovers Kate's Florida DUI arrest record which Kate must confront. Sabrina continues to look towards exploring her ethnic background.|
|6||6||"Good vs. Evil"||October 14, 2012||3.21|
|Kate wears a bikini for her first photo shoot. Abe wants to take his relationship with Rebecca a step further. Sabrina, along with Kate, Abe and Rebecca visit the Museum of Sex.|
|7||7||"Final Days"||October 21, 2012||3.38|
|Kate finds she is ousted from the others. Sabrina learns the whereabouts of her biological father, though she and Jeremiah keep a secret from the rest. Rebecca reveals a part of her past that she is not really in the mood to discuss. The cast makes a tough decision while packing their bags.|
|8||8||"Decision Time"||October 28, 2012||3.87|
|The men and women go home to decide whether they will return to their communities or leave them behind for a new life, which may mean saying good-bye to their families and friends forever.|
|9||9||"Party Time"||November 4, 2012||3.33|
|Sabrina uncovers her late birth mother's letters. Kate begins to accept the reality of her situation. Abe and Rebecca plan their eventual wedding. Jeremiah and Sabrina plan bachelor and bachelorette parties respectively for the engaged.|
|10||10||"Finale"||November 11, 2012||3.80|
|Cast members' tempers flare following pre-wedding parties. Abe and Rebecca get frustrated on wedding plans. Jeremiah is curious of how Sabrina feels about their relationship.|
|11||11||"The Shunning Truth — Part 1"||November 11, 2012||3.88|
|Michelle Beadle hosts as the cast reunites to discuss their first time in NYC, and even relates to relationships with their families and friends, their possible brushes with the law and the authenticity of their Amish or Mennonite lives.|
|12||12||"The Shunning Truth — Part 2"||November 18, 2012||3.06|
|Michelle Beadle hosts as the cast continues to speak about their lives, their cultural origins and the rumors and allegations that need to be addressed.|
Season 2: Brave New World (2013)
|No.||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1 (13)||"Nothing to Lose"||May 12, 2013||2.14|
|Abe, Jeremiah, Rebecca, Sabrina, and Kate have all had a difficult time adjusting to their new lives since leaving the Amish and Mennonite communities. Jeremiah hatches a plan to get the gang back together and give them all a chance at redemption.|
|2 (14)||"Shunned & on the Run"||May 19, 2013||1.87|
|The group reunites for the first time since leaving New York, but they are not prepared for life on the road in close quarters. Meanwhile, when the Bishop shows up unannounced back in Punxy, Abe's mother Mary is faced with the most difficult decision of her life.|
|3 (15)||"Facing Demons"||May 26, 2013||1.63|
|The cast has great expectations when they finally make it down to Florida, but there's trouble in paradise.Jeremiah's surprise visitor has an ulterior motive for showing up, and Kate comes to Sabrina's rescue when she gets caught in the middle|
|4 (16)||"Flirting With Disaster"||June 2, 2013||2.34|
|Lingering sexual tension between Sabrina and Jeremiah raises some eyebrows, and the heat is on when Sabrina has a sudden confrontation with his ex. Hope for a fresh start in Florida takes a turn when unexpected and unwanted guests come knocking.|
|5 (17)||"What's the Beef?"||June 9, 2013||1.89|
|Sabrina gets a call from a private investigator with surprising new information about her biological family. Abe chases his dream of becoming a professional bull rider and Jeremiah faces the consequences of his illicit affair.|
|6 (18)||"Forbidden Fruit"||June 16, 2013||1.70|
|A surprise modeling gig in Miami offers Kate an escape from the others, or so she thinks. Katie Ann has a surprise of her own in store for Mary and a big decision about her future. Jeremiah discovers footage of Kate that leaves everyone in shock.|
|7 (19)||"Devil in a Red Dress"||June 23, 2013||2.15|
|Sparks fly when Katie Ann decides to get an "English" makeover and picks Kate over Abe and Rebecca to go with her. Sabrina tries to find her long lost family, and herself, in Puerto Rico with Jeremiah along for the ride. Abe finally goes bull riding.|
|8 (20)||"A Brother's Secret"||June 30, 2013||2.07|
|In the season finale Jeremiah comes back from Puerto Rico with a heavy heart and Sabrina makes a surprising decision about her future. An unexpected visitor from home shows up to check on Mary and Katie Ann. And the group finally make decisions about what's next.|
|9 (21)||"The Shunning Truth — Part 1"||July 7, 2013||2.38|
|The cast of Breaking Amish: Brave New World are back and ready to set the record straight in this explosive two-part reunion special hosted by NBC's Michelle Beadle. Plus sparks fly when the cast is brought face to face with two mystery guests.|
|10 (22)||"The Shunning Truth — Part 2"||July 14, 2013||2.07|
|In part two of the reunion special host Michelle Beadle dives deeper into the complicated relationships the cast has with each other, their own families, and two surprise guests. Tensions rise as more shocking secrets are revealed.|
Season 3: Return to Amish (2014)
|No.||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1 (23)||"Return to Amish: Our Journey So Far"||May 22, 2014||N/A|
|We revisit the men and women of Breaking Amish reliving the journey Abe, Jeremiah, Rebecca, Kate, and Sabrina took when they decided to leave their home and communities to follow their dreams.|
|2 (24)||"Home is where the beef is"||June 1, 2014||N/A|
|Abe and ex-amish friends and famile get back together at Mary's for christmas where her husband Chester is in for a rude awakening. Andrew has a score to settle with Jeremiah, Rebecca and Sabrina are expecting big things, and a big opportunity awaits Kate in New York.|
|3 (25)||"Shunned & The City"||June 8, 2014||N/A|
|Mary takes an impromptu trip to New York City. Katie Ann tags along with Mary and Kate in the big apple where she talks to a New York guy. In Punxy Abe, Rebecca, Sabrina, and Jeremiah talk babies and shunning .... While Andrew and Chapel have an important appointment.|
|4 (26)||"I'm Amish, What Are You?"||June 14, 2014||N/A|
|Abe and Rebecca introduce their newborn baby to their family, but when Sabrina shows up her pregnancy takes a scary turn. Jeremiah takes on the Schmucker ladies, and Mary argues with Chester about the church, while Chapel gets some news.|
|5 (27)||"Six More Weeks of Winter"||June 22, 2014||N/A|
|Chapel gets heartbreaking news and must figure out a way to tell Andrew. Mary and Jeremiah showcase their business idea at the local Groundhog's Day Festival. Sabrina gets some questionable advice, while Kate stays focused on her career back in New York.|
|6 (28)||"Brother, Where Art Thou?"||June 29, 2014||N/A|
|A major decision is made in Andy and Chapel's relationship, but will Abe and Rebecca be there to support? Mary takes her mind off the family shunning by opening up a store with Jeremiah and the wait is over for Sabrina when her baby girl is born.|
|7 (29)||"Rebel Without a Clue"||July 6, 2014||N/A|
|Jeremiah makes an impactful decision regarding his life. Meanwhile Andy lets loose in an interesting way at his bachelor party, while Chapel goes wedding dress shopping. Later Mary and Chester unleash unexpected news.|
|8 (30)||"Second Chances"||July 13, 2014||N/A|
|In the season finale Andrew and Chapel prepare for their big day, but nothing runs smoothly. Rebecca gives some important advice, while Abe worries about the wedding activities. Jeremiah makes a final commitment and will Mary and Chester show up for the big day?|
|9 (31)||"The Shunning Truth"||July 20, 2014||N/A|
The men and women of Return to Amish are together again for a revealing one-hour reunion special. Hosted by NBC's Michelle Beadle, we'll delve into the lives of each person and hear what they've been up to since the show ended.Note: This is Sabrina's final episode.
Season 4: Return to Amish (2015)
Sabrina High will not be returning full-time but the iTunes cover art for the season features Sabrina and her newborn daughter implying she will make appearances. Mary Schmucker has stated this will be her final season. Rebecca Schmucker has stated it will also be the final season for her and Abe, making it possible that season 4 will be the last.
|No.||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1 (32)||"Broken Family"||May 31, 2015||N/A|
|Mary's shunning by the Amish church continues, due to attending Andrew's wedding. Abe and Rebecca don't feel connected to the Amish community. Jeremiah (who is still living the Amish lifestyle) and Katie Ann are trying to live by the rules, but find sticking to their Amish roots to be difficult. In NYC Kate decides to get a nose job to fix her deviated septum from her childhood injury.|
|2 (33)||"Under Arrest"||June 7, 2015||N/A|
|3 (34)||"A Real Emergency"||June 14, 2015||N/A|
|4 (35)||"Mother Schmucker's B&B"||June 21, 2015||N/A|
|5 (36)||"Other Side of the Fence"||June 28, 2015||N/A|
|6 (37)||"A Secret"||July 5, 2015||N/A|
|7 (38)||"Ultimatum"||July 12, 2015||N/A|
|8 (39)||"Big Decisions"||July 19, 2015||N/A|
Season 5: Return to Amish (2016)
|No.||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1 (40)||"Judgment Day"||July 10, 2016||N/A|
|Mary is banished by the church. She realizes that she must leave Punxsy but Chester decides to remain. The family finds her a house in Lancaster. Kate gets a job as a fashion designer intern in New York with Cynthia Rowley.|
|2 (41)||"Banished"||July 17, 2016||N/A|
|The family travels to New York to visit Kate for three weeks. Mary's daughter Esther arrives in New York as well.|
|3 (42)||"Dental Dilemma"||July 24, 2016||N/A|
|Abe requires expensive dental treatment and Rebecca goes to work to help pay for it. Kate is hampered by her lack of computer skills. Esther considers leaving the church.|
|4 (43)||"You Lie!"||July 31, 2016||N/A|
|Sabrina speaks to a class at NYU about her experiences growing up Mennonite. Esther begins to try out some of the English ways. Mary enjoys a night on the town.|
|5 (44)||"Breaking Dad"||August 7, 2016||N/A|
|Jeremiah's kids visit him in New York. Mary hopes to settle the family arguments. Abe is not happy about Rebecca working, even though it is to help him. Sabrina has not been on a date in years, so Jeremiah asks her out.|
|6 (45)||"Rebels Without a Claus"||August 14, 2016||N/A|
|The family leaves New York and arrives back in Lancaster in time for Old Christmas Day. Jeremiah accuses Kate of thinking she is better than the rest of them, which offends her.|
|7 (46)||"The Announcement"||August 21, 2016||N/A|
|Mary tries to find a new church. Sabrina wins back her parental rights. Kate is flown to LA for a fashion event. Abe decides to get his teeth pulled. Jeremiah announces that he is engaged to Carmela. Esther is hurt in a car accident.|
|8 (47)||"License to Wed"||August 28, 2016||N/A|
In this 2-hour episode, Mary announces that she has decided to return to Punxsy to be with Chester, even though the Amish community may not accept her. Kate has a hard time at the fashion show but does a great job. Carmela gets a chance to meet the family and they treat her to an Amish dinner. Carmela reveals that she grew up in a cult and all compare her experience to their Amish and Mennonite upbringing. Kate does not come to the wedding. Despite some bumps, the wedding takes place successfully.
In the epilogue, Jeremiah and Carmela are happy in their marriage. Abe is still doing long haul trucking, leaving Rebecca with the kids. Mary moved back to Punxsy with Chester, but is still banished by the church. Kate is doing well in New York and has still not spoken with Jeremiah. Sabrina is still clean and sober and her daughter has been returned to her. Esther left the Amish church and ran off to Ohio with her boyfriend.Two months after the wedding, Sabrina reveals that she is pregnant.
Season 6: Return to Amish (2017)
- For this season, the episodes are all two hours long (including commercials).
|No.||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1 (48)||"Mary With Children"||April 30, 2017||N/A|
|Sabrina's daughter has been taken away again, and she wants to have a home birth. Rebecca decides to get a GED but finds that she has a lot of work to do, especially in math and science. Jeremiah sinks all of his money into a piece of land in Florida, but a man informs him that he cannot build on it because it is a swamp.|
|2 (49)||"I Got You Abe"||May 7, 2017||N/A|
|Rebecca and Abe go in for counseling, and later Mary is included in the sessions. Mary buys a Trans Am, learns to drive and leaves for Florida with Abe to visit Jeremiah. Jeremiah learns that the neighbors lied to him so they could maintain their privacy and he can build after all.|
|3 (50)||"Fun in the Shun"||May 14, 2017||N/A|
|Abe helps Jeremiah build his deck, then all go to Sarasota for some rest and relaxation. Mary tries out as many "English" activities as she can. Andrew considers telling Chester what Mary is up to but thinks better of it. Meanwhile, Sabrina worries about what will become of her baby. Rebecca works on her GED prep and then decides to fly to Sarasota.|
|4 (51)||"From Here to Maternity"||May 21, 2017||N/A|
|Rebecca and Carmela resolve their differences. Jeremiah and Carmela do tests to see if they can conceive via IVF. Back in Pennsylvania, Mary organizes a baby shower for Sabrina but Rebecca and Abe refuse to attend. Sabrina wants to sign over guardianship of her baby to her Mennonite parents. However, the baby is born four weeks early before the paperwork is ready and the state moves to take custody. Rebecca prepares to take her GED exam.|
|5 (52)||"Chasing Raber"||May 28, 2017||N/A|
|Jeremiah and Carmela begin their IVF process. Jeremiah focuses on the house instead of Carmela, which leads to arguments. Carmela packs up her kids and drives to Washington. Jeremiah flies there to meet her and she says she wants marriage counseling. Meanwhile, Rebecca takes her GED exam and fails it, but surprisingly Abe is supportive. Sabrina signs over her parental rights. Jeremiah and Carmela see a counselor and get into an argument while there, which leads the counselor to question whether they should stay together.|
|6 (53)||"Amish Pair-O-Dice"||June 4, 2017||N/A|
Mary offers to take Jeremiah and Carmela to Las Vegas for the honeymoon they never had. On the morning of the flight Mary breaks her ankle so Abe accompanies them as well. While there Jeremiah asks Carmela to renew their vows and she accepts, though she is skeptical that it will fix their relationship problems. Eventually Rebecca and Sabrina join them and all reconcile and enjoy the vow ceremony.In the epilogue, Sabrina continues to have substance abuse problems. She was arrested on a probation violation. She hopes to get her parental rights back. Rebecca is continuing to work on her GED and then plans to attend college. Abe gave up his long distance truck driving job and now stays home with Rebecca and the children. Word of Mary's driving and trip to Las Vegas got back to Punxsy, and now Chester is in danger of being banished from the church. Jeremiah and Carmela separated after an incident that happened after filming ended, and they hope to reconcile.
- "TLC Takes Amish Out of the Country and Into the City in New Groundbreaking Series" (Press release). TLC via The Futon Critic. August 2, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Waxman, Olivia B. (September 9, 2012). "Breaking Amish: One Ex-Follower's True Story of Moving to the Big Apple". Time. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Furlong, Maggie (August 30, 2012). "'Breaking Amish' On TLC: Meet The Cast Of This Controversial New Show". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "TLC Orders a Second Season of Hit Series "Breaking Amish"" (Press release). TLC via The Futon Critic. February 25, 2013.
- "Breaking Amish, Brave New World by Breaking Amish".
- Bibel, Sara (June 14, 2013). "'Breaking Amish: LA' to Premiere Sunday, July 21 on TLC". TV by the Numbers.
- "VIDEO: First Look: New TLC Spinoff Series RETURN TO AMISH, Premiering 6/1". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "New TLC Spinoff Series "Return to Amish" Premieres on Sunday, June 1". The Futon Critic. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Breaking Amish, Return to Amish by Breaking Amish".
- "VIDEO Breaking Amish Return to Amish 2015 Preview Trailer".
- "'Breaking Amish: Return To Amish' Cast News: Kate, Jeremiah & Entire Schmucker Clan All Participating In Final Season? [PHOTO]".
- "'Return to Amish' Renewed for Season of Sober Sabrina, Exiled Mary (Exclusive Video)".
- Warren, Lydia (September 21, 2012). "Is Breaking Amish for real? Just two episodes in and already viewers are asking whether it's really all that authentic". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- Warren, Lydia (November 13, 2012). "More 'Breaking Amish' bombshells as cast member confirms she is a divorced mother and another pair reveal they had sex while drunk". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- Hughes, Jason (October 22, 2012). "'Breaking Amish': Rebecca Admits She's Been Divorced After Abe Proposes". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (September 24, 2012). "Is 'Breaking Amish' Fake? TLC Addresses Rumors That Reality Show Is Staged". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Marechal, AJ (September 20, 2012). "TLC on defensive over 'Breaking Amish'". Variety. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Corneau, Allison (November 19, 2012). "Breaking Amish: 5 Shocking Show Myths Debunked!". Us Weekly. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Nicole Lyn Pesce (September 7, 2012). "Cast of TLC's 'Breaking Amish' sits down with the Daily News to talk about their experience". New York Daily News.
- Minor, Eric (November 19, 2012). "Local 'Breaking Amish' star's ex-wife, former roommate claim series not 'reality TV'". WTOV-TV. Archived from the original on November 28, 2012. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Faris, Paula; Singh, Natasha (July 8, 2013). "'Breaking Amish' Star Kate Stoltzfus Shows Skin in Maxim Magazine". ABC News. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 11, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Wins Night + 'Real Housewives of New Jersey', 'NFL Countdown', 'Long Island Medium', 'Breaking Amish' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 18, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' Wins Night, 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Real Housewives of New Jersey', 'Breaking Amish', 'Leverage', 'Hell on Wheels' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 25, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Wins Night + 'NFL Countdown', 'Breaking Amish', 'Long Island Medium', 'Boardwalk Empire' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 2, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Wins Night, 'Dexter', 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Homeland', 'Breaking Amish', 'Long Island Medium' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 9, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Steel Magnolias' Wins Night + 'Jeff Dunham: Minding Monsters', 'The Real Housewived of NJ', MLB, NASCAR & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on 2012-10-11.
- Bibel, Sara (October 16, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'The Walking Dead' Dominates Night, Space Jump, 'Dexter', 'Boardwalk Empire','Homeland,' 'Breaking Amish', & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 18, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 23, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'Walking Dead' Kills it Again, + 'Breaking Amish', 'Dexter', 'Long Island Medium', 'NFL Countdown', & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 26, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (October 30, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'The Walking Dead' Wins Night, 'Breaking Amish', 'Dexter', 'Homeland','Long Island Medium', 'Boardwalk Empire' & More". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on November 1, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 6, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Easily Wins Night, + 'Real Housewives of Atlanta', 'Breaking Amish', 'Talking Dead', 'Long Island Medium' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (November 13, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Wins Night, 'Breaking Amish', 'Dexter', 'Homeland', 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 20, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Wins Night + 'Breaking Amish', 'Real Housewives of Atlanta', 'Dexter', 'Sofia the First' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 14, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game of Thrones' Wins Night + 'Breaking Amish', 'Mad Men', 'Long Island Medium', 'River Monsters' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (May 21, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'Game of Thrones' Wins Night, 'North America', 'Mad Men', 'Veep', 'The Client List' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (May 29, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:NBA Playoffs Win Night, 'Mermaids: The New Evidence', 'Behind the Candelabra', 'Mad Men', 'Long Island Medium', 'North America' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 4, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game of Thrones' Wins Night + 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Real Housewives of New Jersey', 'Breaking Amish', 'Mad Men' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (June 11, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game of Thrones' Wins Night, 'Falling Skies', 'Mad Men', 'Army Wives', 'Veep', 'The Client List' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 18, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + Sprint Cup Racing, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Falling Skies', 'Real Housewives of NJ' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (June 25, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Skywire Live' Wins Night, 'True Blood', 'Falling Skies', 'Mad Men', 'Drop Dead Diva' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 2, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'BET Awards' Wins Night + 'True Blood', 'Dexter', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (July 10, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Dexter', 'Falling Skies', 'Devious Maids', 'The Killing' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Sprint Cup', 'Real Housewives of NJ', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers.