Breaking Point (band)
|Origin||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Genres||Hard rock, alternative metal, nu metal|
|Associated acts||12 Stones, Fuel, Saliva, Collide Over Me|
|Past members||Aaron "Zeke" Dauner
Memphis, TN-based rock quartet Breaking Point included Brett Erickson (vocals/guitar), Justin Rimer (guitar), Jody Abbott (drums), and Greg Edmondson (bass). The group came together when Rimer was working at a music store and discovered he had quite a bit in common musically with a customer, Erickson, who had come to purchase a P.A. system. The rest of the band soon fell into place while Rimer took a job at the renowned Memphis recording studio Ardent, where he worked on sessions for 3 Doors Down and Train. After studio execs heard demos of Breaking Point via Rimer, they offered the group a "spec" deal that became the eight-song demo recorded between late 1999 and August 2000. Local radio station WMFS began playing tracks from the group, resulting in the song "27" becoming the most-requested track at the station and climbing to number one on the play list. Local airplay led to the band being signed by Wind-up Records, a label distributed by Sony BMG, issuing their Creed-esque debut, Coming of Age, in September 2001. Breaking Point disappeared for a while then, but resurfaced in spring 2005 with the Wind Up release of their sophomore effort Beautiful Disorder. By this point drummer Aaron "Zeke" Dauner had replaced Abbott.
Their songs have been used in a number of films, including The Scorpion King, the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge, and Fantastic Four, as well as a trailer for Biker Boyz. Additionally, their song "One of a Kind" is the goal song for Alex Ovechkin and had been used as the theme of Rob Van Dam, who was also featured in the music video, during his WWE career.
In mid-2006, Breaking Point toured the United States with Creed frontman Scott Stapp. As of July 2007, guitarist Justin Rimer has been performing as a member of 12 Stones. Brett recently became the frontman of local Memphis band Aurora. Greg Edmondson is now currently the bassist for Collide Over Me.
In 2009, they passed on the name Breaking Point to a Miami band consisting of musicians Amanda Mallo, Patricia Dorta, and Erynn Chapman. In May 2011, the original incarnation of Breaking Point reunited at Hard Rock Cafe in Memphis, TN for a benefit show and played an acoustic set.
Former band members
- Jody Abbott - Drums
- Justin Rimer - Lead Guitar
- Brett Erickson - Vocals, Lead/Rhythm Guitar
- Greg Edmondson - Bass Guitar
- Aaron "Zeke" Dauner - Drums
- "Coming of Age" (2001, Wind-up)
- "Brother" (2001, Wind-up)
- "One of a Kind" (2002, Wind-up) No. 38 Mainstream Rock Tracks
- "Show Me a Sign" (2005, Wind-up) No. 25 Mainstream Rock Tracks
- "All Messed Up" (2005, Wind-up) No. 26 Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks
- "Promise Keeper" (2005, Wind-up)
- High School Stories
- Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug (2001 Funimation dub) (song: "Coming of Age")
- The Scorpion King (2002) (song: "27")
- WWF Forceable Entry (2002) (song: "One of a Kind")
- Dragonball Z: Cooler's Revenge (2002 Funimation dub) (songs: "Falling Down", "Under", "Phoenix")
- Fantastic Four (2005) (song: "Goodbye to You")