Breandán Ó hEithir
|Breandán Ó hEithir|
18 January 1930|
Bóthar na Trá,, County Galway, Ireland
26 October 1990 (aged 60)|
|Occupation||Writer, journalist, broadcaster|
|Genre||Fiction, autobiography, politics, geography|
|Subject||modern Irish prose|
|Notable works||Lig Sinn i gCathú|
|Spouse||Catherine von Hildebrand|
Breandán Ó hEithir (18 January 1930 – 26 October 1990) was an Irish writer and broadcaster.
He was born in Inishmore, County Galway. His parents were national school teachers Pádraig Ó hEithir and Bríd Ní Fhlatharta; Ó hEithir attended their school in Kilronan. He received his secondary school education at Coláiste Éinde (St Enda's College) in Galway. He attended University College Galway for three years but left without obtaining a degree.
Ó hEithir wrote in both Irish and English, and was highly regarded for the originality and liveliness of his journalism, especially his work in Irish.
After college, he spent a number of years working as a book manager for Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge. He served as an editor at Sáirséal agus Dill, the Irish language publishing house, and as Irish language editor for The Irish Press from 1957 to 1963 he also wrote a column for The Sunday Press. He was a regular columnist with the journal Comhar and also contributed a weekly column to The Irish Times. He also served as a staff journalist with Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ), working on the current affairs programmes Cúrsaí and Féach.
He married Catherine von Hildebrand in 1957 and they had five children; Aindriú, Máirín, Ruairí, Briain and Maria. Catherine was born in Paris, the scion of a family of the German nobility. She is sometimes incorrectly said to have been Dietrich von Hildebrand's daughter, but was related.
- Lig Sinn i gCathú "Lead us into temptation" (Sáirseál Ó Marcaigh, 1976)
- Willie the Plain Pint, agus an Pápa (Cló Mercier, 1977)
- Over the Bar A Personal Relationship with the GAA (Ward River Press, 1984)
- The Begrudger's Guide to Irish Politics (Poolbeg Press, 1986)
- This is Ireland (O'Brien Press, 1987)
- Impressions of Galway (Appletree Press Ltd., 1987)
- Sionnach ar mo Dhuán (Sáirseál Ó Marcaigh, 1988)
- A Pocket History of Ireland (O'Brien Press, 1989)
- An Nollaig Thiar (Poolbeg Press, 1989)
- An Aran reader (The Lilliput Press, 1991)
- "Breandan O hEithir, Irish Writer, Dies at 60", The New York Times, 1990-10-25.