Surgeon doing a surgical breast biopsy
Several methods for a breast biopsy now exist. The most appropriate method of biopsy for a patient depends upon a variety of factors, including the size, location, appearance and characteristics of the abnormality.
Fine needle aspiration
Fine needle aspiration (FNA) is a percutaneous ("through the skin") procedure that uses a fine needle and a syringe to sample fluid from a breast cyst or remove clusters of cells from a solid mass.
Vacuum assisted biopsy
Vacuum assisted biopsy is a version of core needle biopsy using a vacuum technique to assist the collection of the tissue sample. The needle normally has a lateral ("from the side") opening and can be rotated allowing multiple samples to be collected through a single skin incision. The Vacuum assisted biopsy procedure is similar to normal core needle biopsy. The vacuum assisted biopsy category also includes automated rotational core devices.
Direct and frontal biopsy
Recent innovations in tissue acquisition for the human breast have led to the development of unique direct frontal systems. Efficacy is considered optimal if the diagnosis by transcutaneous biopsy is identical to the surgical specimen in case of malignancy or in line with clinical follow-up when benign.
- "Complications associated with ultrasound-guided breast core needle biopsy (CNB)". Zenodo. 2016-05-03. doi:10.5281/zenodo.1038518.
- "ADVANCE for Health Information Professionals - Editorial". advanceweb.com.
- Cornelis A, Verjans M, Van den Bosch T, Wouters K, Van Robaeys J, Janssens JP (August 2009). "Efficacy and safety of direct and frontal macrobiopsies in breast cancer". Eur. J. Cancer Prev. 18 (4): 280–4. doi:10.1097/CEJ.0b013e328329d885. PMID 19352188.
- High-Precision Direct and Frontal Breast Biopsy to Assure Adequate Surgical Margin Interpretation; Jaak Janssens, MD, PhD; Ruediger Schulz-Wendtland, MD, PhD; Luc Rotenberg, MD; John-Paul Bogers, MD, PhD
- Goss, Paul E.; Ingle, James N.; Alés-Martínez, José E.; Cheung, Angela M.; Chlebowski, Rowan T.; Wactawski-Wende, Jean; McTiernan, Anne; Robbins, John; Johnson, Karen C.; Martin, Lisa W.; Winquist, Eric; Sarto, Gloria E.; Garber, Judy E.; Fabian, Carol J.; Pujol, Pascal; Maunsell, Elizabeth; Farmer, Patricia; Gelmon, Karen A.; Tu, Dongsheng; Richardson, Harriet (23 June 2011). "Exemestane for Breast-Cancer Prevention in Postmenopausal Women (Breast enlargement with surgery))". New England Journal of Medicine. 364 (25): 2381–2391. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1103507.