Breast torture (also called breast play, nipple torture or tit torture) is a BDSM activity in which sexual stimulation is provided through the intentional application of physical pain or constriction to the breasts, areolae or nipples of a submissive. It is a popular activity among the kink community. The recipient of such activities may wish to receive them as a result of masochism or they may have a desire to please a dominant who is sadistic. Those involved may also be motivated by breast fetishism. Mild breast torture such as light impact play on the breasts is also occasionally used outside of the BDSM context to provide stimulation and pleasure during conventional sex. While breast and nipple torture is usually performed on women, most techniques or methods may also be used on men.
The breasts are sometimes used to satisfy a desire for erotic humiliation. Cruel or disparaging references to the breasts can be used to produce verbal humiliation, while physical humiliation can be achieved through discipline techniques such as breast punishment. As with other forms of erotic torture or humiliation breast torture can also be used to satisfy the erotic desire of the dominant with little to no pleasure for the submissive or as a form of corporal punishment. In these cases more painful methods may be used for longer periods so as to cause uncomfortable rather than pleasurable pain.
Kink and BDSM activities are never completely free from risk, but some forms of breast torture, such as the use of clothespins on nipples, light flagellation and simple breast bondage, are considered to be relatively safe and benign. In contrast, some forms of breast torture, such as severe caning, amateur piercing, or being suspended by the breasts, are considered edge activities that can include great risk. Anatomically the breasts do not allow someone to be safely suspended by their breasts through suspension bondage techniques. All forms of breast torture require adequate precautions to prevent injury or blood loss.
There are a variety of techniques used for breast torture, and they are sometimes combined to produce a greater erotic effect.
Nipple torture, also called BDSM nipple play, is the application of erotic pain to the nipples. It is a popular element of breast torture. It can include biting, sucking, pinching and roughly touching or rubbing the nipples and the areolae. Submissives who experience it often enjoy it, even though it is painful. Some people find their nipples to be more erotically sensitive than their genitals. They are an erogenous zone of the body and their stimulation using techniques such as pinching can in some cases lead to orgasm.
During the 1970s, a study of S&M-themed contact magazines and club members in Germany identified nipple torture as one of the six most popular activities. BDSM literature sometimes shows household items attached to erect nipples to provide a pinching sensation. These include clothespins, mousetraps, clothes hangers with integral clips, or pairs of chopsticks with elastic bands wrapped around each end. If the nipples are prominent enough they can have elastic bands secured directly round them.
There are commercially produced apparatus designed for nipple torture such as the nipple clamp, a device which is sold as a type of sex toy. With many types of nipple clamps the degree of tightness is variable and the amount of pain produced is dependent upon how tightly they are applied. The pinching restricts the blood flow and, when the attachments are removed, further pain may be caused by the return of normal blood flow. Clamps may have smooth surfaces, plastic or rubber fittings or jagged edges. The last of these increases the pain when weights hung from the clamps tighten the pinch or add a tugging sensation that varies as the wearer moves. Nipple clamps are sometimes sold with a chain connecting them so that a dominant can pull on it to create tension. Alternatively nipple clamps may be attached to ropes, chains, or wall fixtures.
Twisting the nipples produces a painful sensation and nipple pain can be intensified by twisting nipple clamps, an action which pushes the nipple into the breast. A titty twister is a BDSM device used to inflict pain on the breasts and especially the nipples in this way. They are made in a variety of styles, but all have nipple clamps that can be made to rotate once in position, twisting the breasts and nipples of the person wearing the device.
There are some health risks associated with nipple torture. Nipple clamps that are positioned wrongly can cause small cuts. Nipple bondage can result in damage to the nipples and tearing the skin of the nipples can cause scarring. Regular heavy nipple play that produces scabbing and bruising can cause internal scar tissue and de-sensitization, resulting in permanent nerve and tissue damage. During pregnancy the nipples may be too sensitive for nipple clamps, and nipple stimulation can cause the release of the contraction-inducing hormone oxytocin.
Commercially produced nipple pumps, also known as nipple suction cups, are small cylindrical devices used to produce full nipple erections by pulling on the nipples. They also increase the circulation to the nipples and provide erotic nipple stimulation. They can be used to sensitise the nipples for subsequent nipple torture, and some models allow the suction level to be increased enough for the device itself to be used for nipple torture.
Suction is sometimes applied to the breasts via erotic cupping, a technique in which cups, bowls or bells are used to create suction on the skin in a method similar to the cupping therapy used in alternative medicine. The sensation can be erotic, and drawing blood to the skin can make the area more sensitive once the cups are removed. Larger cups create more suction, which makes the resulting sensations more intense. The practice can also cause pain and leave bruised marks on the skin.
Suction is also used as a form of erotic humiliation that can draw attention to the breasts or nipple areas which can be elongated or formed into unnatural shapes or sizes. The "milk cow" is also a common theme in this regard.
Nipple piercings are sometimes used to facilitate breast torture. Once inserted, piercing rings can simply be pulled as part of BDSM play. Alternatively they can be attached to heavy chains or to nipple cords (pieces of thin rope or heavy string) and the other end of these chains or cords can be attached to screw eyes or pulleys to allow the nipples to be put under great tension. Piercing allows heavier weights and more tension to be used in contrast to clamping.
Piercing the breasts, nipples and areolae with sewing or hypodermic needles of various gauges as well as fabric pins is also sometimes done. Nipples can have nipple rings or nipple cuffs placed around them and tightened to create and sustain nipple erections and also to cause pain.
Breast bondage techniques are used to compress, bind, lift or squash the breasts, which in turn makes them more sensitive and erotically stimulates them, while focussing the submissive's attention on their submissive state and their vulnerability. The high concentration of nerve endings in the breasts means that having them tied tightly can be a painful experience. Increasing and trapping the blood flow in them heightens their sensitivity. Breast bondage can be used as a show of power on the part of the dominant person or a way to inflict torture and punishment. Breast torture may include binding the breasts with ropes, chains, wire or bondage tape, or heavy rubber bands may be placed around the base of the breasts. Tight breast bondage is often depicted in BDSM imagery, usually using rope bondage techniques which are often derived from Japanese bondage, although breast bondage differs from most bondage techniques in that it is not intended to restrict mobility.
Breast bondage techniques typically lift and separate the breasts. Common methods include tying rope around the base of each breast causing them to bulge forwards, or ropes above and below the breasts to push them together so that they are pushed outwards from the chest. This effect is accentuated if the hands are tied behind the back. Ropes can also be used to flatten the breasts against the chest. Changing the shape and size of the breasts in this way makes breast bondage visually appealing to some people and is used in bondage art forms such as Shibari and Kinbaku. Breast bondage usually leaves the nipples and much of the breast exposed for other breast torture techniques such as whipping and clamping which can be more painful under the pressure of breast bondage.
Breasts are sometimes compressed using a breast press. This device consists of two parallel bars or boards separated and fastened at either end by steel bolts or adjustable screws. The press is slightly longer than the width of the two breasts and typically made of wood or steel bars. Many of these devices are custom made at home. The breasts are placed between the bars and the bolts or screws are tightened to painfully compress them. The device is mostly effective on larger breasts. Sometimes the insides of the bars are lined with sandpaper or other uncomfortable surfaces for additional pain.
Breast bondage ropes, particularly if tied tightly, can damage the breasts. Using conventional rope for breast bondage can result in rope burns. Ropes designed for BDSM use are typically made from soft cotton that lies flat against the skin to avoid this. If rope is less than 5 mm (0.2 inches) in diameter it can cut into the skin. Breast bondage also risks cutting off the blood circulation to the breasts and safety considerations require them not to be bound too tightly nor for too long. Tightly bound breasts can become swollen and darker, which can be visually appealing to some people. However, photographs of breast bondage sometimes show breasts that have turned purple or blue which indicates that blood circulation has been cut off. Numbness or a lack of sensation in the breasts are also indicators of this. It can be damaging and safety recommendations include the presence of scissors that can be used to remove ropes quickly if needed. It is also possible for additional supportive bondage used in breast bondage to restrict the flow of blood to the arms or legs, leading to nerve damage, muscle destruction, and eventually blood clots. Breast bondage in Japanese culture is generally practiced by women under thirty as a result of the body's decreasing ability to heal with age.
Tit whipping is a type of breast torture that involves the flagellation of a submissive's breasts, usually with a small cat o' nine tails whip called a flogger. Other types of impact play that are applied to the breasts include slapping, punching, kicking, spanking and caning. The implements used range from BDSM toys to household items such as spatulas and wooden spoons. Objects are sometimes shot at the breasts as a form of ballistic punishment.
The most common negative consequence of this type of breast torture is bruising but aggressive caning can result in welts, and heavy impact play applied to the breasts can rupture the mammary glands and lymph glands and cause breast cysts.
Sensations such as squeezing, pinching, caressing, poking and tickling can be induced by hand or mouth or by making use of a variety of implements. Rubbing the breasts with rough or abrasive materials can be used to produce painful sensations as part of abrasion play, and other sensations can be produced by applying stimulating plant materials such as chilli, ginger or stinging nettles.
Clothespins can be attached to the breasts in large numbers to pinch the skin in multiple places. When they are removed and the blood flows back a sensation of warm pain is experienced. The clothespins can be attached together using a string or wire and pulled off, creating a BDSM device known as a zipper. Alternatively the skin of the breasts can have nipple clamps, a wartenberg wheel or play piercing needles applied to it.
Temperature play is sometimes applied to the breasts. For example, certain types of hot wax can be dripped onto the breasts as part of wax play, in some instances producing a wax mould of the nipple and breast. Care needs to be taken as wax play can produce irritation, burning or blistering of the skin.
- Bondage pornography
- Cock and ball torture
- Female submission
- List of BDSM equipment
- Male dominance (BDSM)
- Weiss, Margot (2011). Techniques of Pleasure: BDSM and the Circuits of Sexuality. Duke University Press. p. 220. ISBN 9780822351597.
Indeed, practices focussed on the breasts and genitals are called both play and torture: tit torture, nipple play...
- Arndt, William B (1991). Gender Disorders and the Paraphilias. International Universities Press. p. 327. ISBN 9780823621507.
In more recent S&M literature, where a female is the submissive, breast torture is often depicted, using ropes to bind them tightly and clothespins or mouse traps to pinch nipples.
- Aggrawal, Anil (2008). Forensic and Medico-legal Aspects of Sexual Crimes and Unusual Sexual Practices. CRC Press. p. 149. ISBN 9781420043099.
- Murray, Thomas; Murrell, Thomas (1989). The Language of Sadomasochism: A Glossary and Linguistic Analysis. ABC-CLIO. p. 44. ISBN 9780313264818.
- Brown, Ashley; Barker, Edward D.; Rahman, Qazi (July 2020). "A Systematic Scoping Review of the Prevalence, Etiological, Psychological, and Interpersonal Factors Associated with BDSM". Journal of Sex Research. 57 (6): 781–811. doi:10.1080/00224499.2019.1665619. PMID 31617765. S2CID 204740964.
More than 50% reported they had participated in sadomasochistic activities like breast play...
- Aggrawal (2008), p. 149.
- Lords, Kayla (30 April 2015). "BDSM 101". Kinkly.
- Jamie (26 October 2022). "Breast Fetish: 9 Types of Breast Kinks". Kink Lovers.
- Jamie (30 September 2022). "Pussy Torture: 14 BDSM Pussy Play Ideas". Kink Lovers.
- Master Marc (22 April 2015). "Erotic Humiliation and Degradation". Deviance and Desire.
- Nicholson, Matt. "The Breast Punishment Primer: Everything You Could Ever Want to Know About Boobs and BDSM". Kobo. Archived from the original on February 5, 2023. Retrieved 4 December 2022.
- "How Safe is Kink?". Kynk 101. Retrieved 18 July 2022.
- Roos, Bob (1 June 1998). "Breast bondage". Rope Marks. Archived from the original on 14 September 2022.
- Aggrawal (2008), p. 147.
- "What Is Nipple Play?". Web MD. 29 June 2021.
- Murray & Murrell (1989), p. 97–98.
- Jamie (6 September 2022). "His and Her Guide to Nipple and Breast Torture". Kink Lovers.
- Lee-Zogbessou, Jasmine (30 June 2022). "Erogenous zones you need to know". Cosmopolitan.
- Fox, Alix (17 October 2018). "Everything you need to know about nipple orgasms". Cosmopolitan.
- Arndt (1991), p. 363.
- Kinnk, Chris (25 July 2012). "Nipple Clamps and Tit Torture Improvisation". Kinky Testers.
- Kristan X (29 July 2021). "A Comprehensive Guide to Tit Torture". Lascivity.
- "Nipple Clamp Safety". Lovegasm. Archived from the original on 21 March 2023. Retrieved 16 June 2022.
- Engle, Gigi (19 May 2017). "Why Nipple Clamps Are the Most Underrated Sex Toys in the World". Glamour.
- "Weighted Nipple Clamps". Safe Word. Archived from the original on 19 October 2021. Retrieved 6 September 2022.
- Pinkerton, Martha (17 November 2022). "In-Depth Guide on How to Tie Tits". Joy Nights.
- "Japanese Clover Clamps". Japanese Clover Clamps. Retrieved 24 May 2022.
- Murray & Murrell (1989), p. 134.
- Murray & Murrell (1989), p. 133.
- Moon, Allison (19 September 2016). "19 Expert-Approved Tips For Sexy Breast Play". Bustle.
- Lane, S. Nicole (13 July 2018). "Can you still take part in BDSM when you're pregnant?". Metro.
- Jim (21 December 2018). "13 Essential Bondage & Bdsm Toys, Tools, and Restraints". Tabooless.
- "What is a Nipple Suction Cup?". Kinkly. 14 May 2018.
- "What is Erotic Lactation?". Kinkly. 29 June 2022.
- "What is Erotic Cupping?". Kinkly. 14 April 2022.
- Vagner, Kaitlyn (17 July 2015). "What Sex Is Like With Pierced Nipples". Bustle.
- "What is Breast Bondage?". Kinkly. 1 May 2022.
- Adriana (16 October 2020). "Breast Bondage: Easy Harnesses Even If You've Never Used Rope Before". Bad Girls' Bible.
- Mistress Kay (4 February 2022). "BDSM Advice Series: How To Use Bondage Tape". Kinky World.
- Wiseman, Jay (1996). SM 101: A Realistic Introduction. Greenery Press. p. 129. ISBN 9780963976383.
- "BDSM And Kink Terminology: A To Z". Rekink. Retrieved 21 May 2022.
- Wiseman, Jay (2000). Jay Wiseman's Erotic Bondage Handbook. Greenery Press. p. 222. ISBN 9781890159139.
- Mistress Matisse (29 June 2006). "Control Tower & Kink Calendar". The Stranger. Seattle.
- "Medical Risks of Breast Bondage". Shibari News. 30 January 2022. Retrieved 27 September 2022.
- Jalili, Candice (24 July 2019). "Here's Literally Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Breast Bondage". Cosmopolitan.
- Archer, Sophia (15 September 2020). "Breast Bondage for Beginners (Safety + Tips for Getting Started)". Stay Sexual.
- Uren, Isabelle (31 August 2021). "Your Ultimate Guide to Breast Bondage". Bed Bible.
- "Wax Play". Sex Talk About. 24 June 2018. Archived from the original on 30 June 2022. Retrieved 13 March 2022.
- Media related to Breast torture (BDSM) at Wikimedia Commons