Breda O'Brien (born 1962) is an Irish teacher and columnist, writing a weekly column for The Irish Times. O'Brien is a frequent spokesperson for Catholic-based views of political issues such as opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage. She founded the Irish chapter of Feminists for Life in 1992.
Early life and education
O'Brien taught at Muckross Park College, a public Catholic girls' school, between 1983 and 1987. She later returned to this post in 1992, and has remained there since. She has worked as a video producer and communications trainer in the Catholic Communications Centre (founded by the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference), Booterstown, Dublin from 1988 to 1991. She worked as a researcher for RTÉ from 1991 to 1992. Her career as a columnist began with The Sunday Business Post from 1997 to 2000 and continued with The Irish Times.
Her stance on civil partnerships has changed. Initially opposed to them in 2008, and 2010 by 2015, in the run up to the Irish marriage equality referendum, she claimed to be in support of them.
Marriage is already under assault in every way from heterosexuals. Do we wish to redefine it in an even more radical way? ... It is never pleasant to take a stance like this, and it must be a thousand times less pleasant to be the person who is told that important values like equality must take second place to the common good.— Breda O'Brien, 
- Patricia Casey
- David Quinn
- John Waters
- Iona Institute
- Abortion in the Republic of Ireland
- LGBT rights in the Republic of Ireland
- Cummins, Mary (24 September 1992). "'Feminists for Life' to lobby". The Irish Times. p. 4. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Bourke, Angela, ed. (2002). The Field Day Anthology of Irish Writing: Irish Women's Writing and Traditions, Volume 5. NYU Press. ISBN 9780814799079.
- Kayla Hertz. ""Should we let mothers marry their daughters?" conservative Breda O'Brien asks on marriage referendum - IrishCentral.com". IrishCentral. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- O'Brien, Breda. "Despite some awful dilemmas, abortion is not an option". The Irish Times. Dublin. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- O'Brien, Breda (2 August 2003). "First casualty of sexuality debate is balance". The Irish Times. p. 12. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- O'Brien, Breda (12 July 2008). "Same-sex relationships no substitute for marriage". The Irish Times. p. 14. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- O'Brien, Breda (5 July 2008). "Activists using 'homophobia' label as bullying tactic". The Irish Times. p. 14. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- O'Brien, Breda (26 June 2010). "Upside-down world if church denied freedom of speech". The Irish Times. p. 14. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- O'Brien, Breda (6 Feb 2010). "Genuinely tolerant society will not be a cold house for religion". The Irish Times. p. 16. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- Ryan, Órla (22 January 2014). "'Should we allow mothers to marry their daughters?'". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Breda O'Brien - interviewed on the Marian Finucane Show". Marian Finucane Show. 22 February 2014. RTÉ Radio 1. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- O'Brien, Breda (9 August 2014). "Defending the right to home educate children". The Irish Times. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Breda O'Brien". The Irish Times. Retrieved 12 July 2016.