Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf
|Grade 1 race|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄4 miles (2,000 m) (10 times)|
1 3⁄8 miles (2,200 m) (7 times)
1 3⁄16 miles (1,900 m) (once)
1 1⁄8 miles (1,800 m) (once)
|Qualification||Fillies and Mares, 3-years-old & up|
|Weight||Weight for Age|
The Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf is a Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race on turf for fillies and mares, three years old and up. It is held annually at a different racetrack in the United States as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
The race is run at either 1 1⁄4 miles (2,000 m) or 1 3⁄8 miles (2,200 m), depending on the turf course configuration at the Breeders' Cup host track. For tracks which can accommodate either distance (Belmont, Woodbine, and Santa Anita ), it is run at 1 1⁄4 miles. The 2015 edition at Keeneland was conducted at 1 3⁄16 miles because that track's turf course configuration does not allow for the two regular distances to be conducted on it. For the same reason, the 2017 edition at Del Mar will be held at a distance of 1 1⁄8 miles.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the thirteen divisions has between two and twelve of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf division, runners are limited to 14 with up to ten automatic berths. Note though that one horse may win multiple challenge races, while other challenge winners will not be entered in the Breeders' Cup for a variety of reasons such as injury or travel considerations.
The 2019 "Win and You're In" races are:
- the Paddock Stakes, a Group 1 race run in January at Kenilworth race course in South Africa
- the Gran Premio Pamplona, a Group 1 run in June at Hipódromo de Monterrico in Peru
- the Beverly D. Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in August at Arlington Park in Chicago, Illinois
- the Yorkshire Oaks, a Group 1 race run in August at York Racecourse in York, England
- the Matron Stakes, a Group 1 race run in September at Leopardstown in Ireland
- the Rodeo Drive Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in October at Santa Anita Park in California
- the Prix de l'Opera, a Group 1 race run in October at Longchamp Racecourse in Paris, France
- the First Lady Stakes, a Grade I race run in October at Keeneland in Kentucky
- the Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes, a Grade 1 race at Belmont Park in New York
- Dank (2013) — 1:58.73 for 1 1⁄4 miles
- Perfect Sting (2000) — 2:13.07 for 1 3⁄8 miles
- Ouija Board (2004, 2006)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 3 - John R. Velazquez (2002, 2011, 2018)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 4 - Chad Brown (2012, 2014, 2015, 2018)
Most wins by an owner:
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf since 1999
- Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- Belmont Track Records
- Keeneland a Breeders' Cup Homecoming
- "Breeders' Cup Announces Race Distances for 2017". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "Breeders' Cup Announces Challenge Series Schedule". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- Racing Post: