Breeders' Cup Distaff
|Grade I race|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄8 miles (9 Furlongs)|
|Qualification||Fillies & Mare, three-years-old & up|
The Breeders' Cup Distaff is a Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race for fillies and mares, 3 years old and up. Known as the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic between 2008 and 2012, it is held annually at a different racetrack in the United States or Canada as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships. It is the top ranked race for fillies and mares in North America, and often decides the title for champion three-year-old and / or champion older filly or mare.
Starting with the 2008 Breeders' Cup, the Distaff has been the final race on the first day (Friday) of the two-day event.
Distance : 11⁄4 miles (1984–1987); 11⁄8 miles (1988 to present).
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to the winners of defined races. Each of the thirteen divisions has between two and ten of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Distaff Division the number of runners is limited to 14 with up to seven automatic berths. Note though that one horse may win multiple challenge races, while other challenge winners will not be entered in the Breeders' Cup for a variety of reasons such as injury or travel considerations.
The 2017 "Win and You're In" races are:
- Gran Premio Criadores, a Group 1 race run in May at Hipódromo de Palermo in Argentina
- Ogden Phipps Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in June at Belmont Park in New York
- Fleur de Lis Handicap, a Grade 2 race run in June at Churchill Downs in Kentucky
- Clement L. Hirsch Handicap, a Grade 1 race run in July at Del Mar Racetrack in California
- Personal Ensign Handicap, a Grade 1 race run in August at Saratoga Race Course in upstate New York
- Zenyatta Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in October at Santa Anita Park in California
- Spinster Stakes, a Grade 1 race at Keeneland Race Course in Kentucky
Stakes record: Not applicable, as the race is run at different tracks
Most wins by a jockey:
- 5 - Mike Smith (1995, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2012)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 5 - William I. Mott (1997, 1998, 2010, 2011, 2012)
Most wins by an owner:
- 3 - Allen Paulson (1997, 1998, 2002)
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Distaff
† - 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 races were run at 11⁄4 miles
- Breeders' Cup Distaff "top three finishers" and starters
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- "Breeders' Cup Disaff Stakes Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Top 100 G1 races of the World" (PDF). ifhaonline.org. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Del Mar to Host Five Breeders' Cup Challenge Races During Summer Meeting". www.dmtc.com. Retrieved 12 April 2017.