Breeders' Cup Marathon
|Grade II race|
|Breeders' Cup Marathon|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1¾ miles (14 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Three-years-old & up|
|Weight||Weight for Age|
The Breeders' Cup Marathon is a Grade II American Thoroughbred horse race established in 2008 as part of the annual Breeders' Cup World Championships. A Weight for Age race open to horses three years old and up, it was contested on dirt at a distance of 1½ miles in its inaugural running. For 2009, the distance was extended by 2 furlongs to 1¾ miles. The race carries a purse of US$500,000.
Due to technical requirements, the race was not eligible for classification as a graded stakes race in its first two runnings. It received Grade III status effective in 2010. The race was upgraded to Grade II status for 2011.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge", a series of races in each division that alloted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races.
Each of the fourteen divisions has between one and ten of these, "Win and You're In," qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Marathon Division, runners are limited to 14 and there is one automatic berth.
The "Win and You're In" race is:
1. the Clasico Belgrano, a grade 2 race at Hipodromo Argentino de Palermo in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Raced at 1½ miles in its debut in 2008, the 2009 edition was changed to a distance of 1¾ miles.
- No horse has won this race more than once.
Most wins by a jockey:
- No jockey has won this race more than once.
Most wins by a trainer:
- No trainer has won this race more than once.
Most wins by an owner:
- No owner has won this race more than once.
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Marathon since 2008
|2013||London Bridge||3||Mike Smith||Jo Hughes||Eastwind Racing & Martha Trussell||2:58.32||$500,000||II|
|2012||Calidoscopio (ARG)||9||Aaron Gryder||Guillermo Frenkel Santillán||Stud Dona Pancha||2:57.25||$500,000||II|
|2011||Afleet Again||4||Cornelio Velasquez||Robert E. Reid, Jr.||Kasey K Racing Stable||3:00.39||$500,000||II|
|2010||Eldaafer||5||John Velazquez||Diane Alvardo||IEAH Stables and Mansour Albaroudy||2:59.62||$500,000||III|
|2009||Man of Iron||3||Johnny Murtagh||Aidan O'Brien||Derrick Smith/Susan Magnier/Michael Tabor||2:54.11||$500,000|
|2008||Muhannak||4||Pat Smullen||Ralph Beckett||Richard Pegum||2:28.24†||$500,000|
† - Ran at 1½ miles
- Breeders' Cup Marathon "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- "Distance Added to Breeders' Cup Marathon". bloodhorse.com. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Graded Stakes Committee releases 2008 changes - Thoroughbred Times
- LaMarra, Tom (2008-12-03). "Arkansas Derby Among Three New Grade I Stakes". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Blood Horse: 2011 Graded Stakes: 13 Fewer Than '10
- Breeders Cup Challenge