Bremerton National Airport
|Bremerton National Airport|
|IATA: PWT – ICAO: KPWT – FAA LID: PWT|
|Owner||Port of Bremerton|
|Elevation AMSL||444 ft / 135 m|
Bremerton National Airport (IATA: PWT, ICAO: KPWT, FAA LID: PWT) is eight miles southwest of downtown Bremerton, in Kitsap County, Washington. It is owned by the Port of Bremerton. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a general aviation facility.
During World War II Kitsap County Airport was used by the United States Navy as an outer landing field for NAS Seattle. Military use continued throughout the Cold War and it would occasionally host temporary detachments of aircraft from the Navy.
BNA has a second runway which has been closed for some time. The second strip has been used as a drag strip by Bremerton Motorsports Park. In 1954, Kitsap County Airport was the site for the SCCA Seafair Nationals. This was Ferrari’s debut on a Northwest track at a time when the company was just starting to dominate west coast sports car racing.
In the year ending May 31, 2007 the airport had 108,000 aircraft operations, average 295 per day: 99% general aviation, 1% military, and <1% air taxi. 156 aircraft were then based at this airport: 88% single-engine, 6% multi-engine, 2% jet, 2% helicopter, 1% glider, and 1% ultralight.
- FAA Airport Master Record for PWT ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Port of Bremerton celebrates the grand re-opening of the Bremerton Marina on May 31, 2008." HistoryLink.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 July 2010. <http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9425>.
- "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Washington, Seattle area." Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 July 2010. <http://www.airfields-freeman.com/WA/Airfields_WA_Seattle.htm#sandpoint>.
- "Enterprise." Naval History and Heritage Command. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 July 2010. <http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/e4/enterprise-viiid.htm>.
- "Bremerton Motorsports Park Home Page." Bremerton Motorsports Park. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 July 2010. <http://www.bremertonmotorsportspark.com>.
- Baer, Arnie. "1954: The First Ferrari Invasion." Rudow Specialty Publishing. Rudow Specialty Publishing, n.d. Web. 3 July 2010. <http://www.rspubs.com/pdf/1954_Seafair_Memories.pdf>.
- Official website
- Bremerton National (PWT) at WSDOT Airport Directory
- Aerial image as of June 1990 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for PWT, effective April 30, 2015
- Resources for this airport: