Roman ruins in Ribchester
Location within the Borough of Ribble Valley
|Architectural style||Roman fort|
|Town or city||Ribchester, Lancashire|
|Official name||Ribchester Roman fort (Bremetennacum)|
Bremetennacum, or Bremetennacum Veteranorum, was a Roman fort on the site of the present day village of Ribchester in Lancashire, England (grid reference ). (Variant names include Bremetonnacum, Bremetenracum or Bresnetenacum). The site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The site guarded a crossing-point of the River Ribble. The first known Roman activity was the building of a timber fort, believed to have been constructed during the campaigns of Petillius Cerialis around AD 72/3. This was replaced by a stone fort in the 2nd century. For most of its existence the fort was garrisoned by Sarmatian auxiliaries, first stationed in Britain by Marcus Aurelius in 175. Prior to that it is suggested that the fort was garrisoned by the Ala II Asturum from Spain, but there is some uncertainty about this. Pottery evidence indicates that the fort was occupied for most of the 4th century until the end of the Roman period.
- Esmonde Cleary, A.; DARMC, R. Talbert; S. Vanderbilt, R. Warner; S. Gillies, T. Elliott. "Places: 79352 (Bremetennacum Veteranorum)". Pleiades. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- Historic England. "Bremetennacum Veteranorum (43639)". PastScape. Retrieved 11 March 2008.
- Shotter, D. (2004). Romans and Britons in north-west England. Lancaster: University of Lancaster.
- Historic England. "Templeborough Roman Fort (316617)". PastScape. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Buxton, K. and Howard-Davis, C. (2000) Bremetenacum: excavations at Roman Ribchester 1980, 1989-1990, Lancaster imprints, no. 9, Lancaster University Archaeological Unit, ISBN 1-86220-083-1
- Haverfield, F. (1915) Roman Britain in 1914, British Academy supplemental papers III, Oxford University Press, (Online Text, Project Gutenburg)
- Smith, T. C. and Shortt, J (1890) The history of the parish of Ribchester, in the county of Lancaster, London: Bemrose & sons, 283p
- Edwards, B.J.N. (2000) The Romans in Ribchester, Discovery and Excavation, Centre for North-West Regional Studies, University of Lancaster, ISBN 1-86220-085-8
- Shotter, David (1997) "Romans and Britons in North-West England", Centre for North-West Regional Studies, University of Lancaster, ISBN 1-86220-029-7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bremetennacum (Ribchester).|
- Vindolanda Tablets mentioning Ribchester Vindolanda Tablets Online
- Ribchester Museum
- Bremetenacum Veteranorum, Roman Britain