Born in Woodford Green, Barratt specialises in architectural subjects as well as gardens and landscapes. She works from her studio in Buxted, East Sussex. Brenda gets commissioned to capture the essence of various schools and colleges in England such as Hurstpierpoint College, Great Walstead School, Burgess Hill Girls School and Brighton College. She produces limited edition prints and donates the original to the school. Collectors from around the world have bought Brenda's architectural watercolors.
Barratt comes from a long line of professional artists and has been painting architectural subjects for over twenty years. Her father, Chris Rooke, was commissioned to paint watercolours of important buildings thought likely not to survive World War II. One of his paintings is in the custody of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Barratt's painting on Space Shuttle
In May 2010 NASA astronaut Piers Sellers took an original watercolor portrait painted by Brenda Barratt into outer space aboard the Space Shuttle Atlantis flying its last mission, STS-132. Piers Sellers was a pupil at Cranbrook School, in Kent, and Brenda Barratt was asked by Angela Daly, the school's headteacher, to paint a watercolor of the school. The painting was then returned to Cranbrook School with the official NASA verification that it had travelled into space.
Schools where Brenda Barratt's paintings are displayed
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
- Adams' Grammar School, Newport, Shropshire, England
- Ardingly College, West Sussex, England
- Arnold School, Blackpool, Lancashire, England
- Brighton College, Brighton, England
- Broadwater School, Surrey, England
- Buckswood School, East Sussex, England
- Burgess Hill School, West Sussex, England
- Caterham School, Surrey, England
- Cranbrook School, Kent, England
- Great Walstead School, Lindfield, West Sussex, England
- Handcross Park School, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England
- Hawthorns School, Bletchingley, Surrey, England
- Hilden Grange School, Tonbridge, Kent, England
- Holmewood House School, Kent, England
- Hurstpierpoint College, West Sussex, England
- Kent College, Kent, England
- Lewes Old Grammar School, Lewes, East Sussex, England
- Malvern St James College, Worcestershire, England.
- Moira House Girls School, Eastbourne, England
- Old Swinford Hospital, Stourbridge, England
- Reigate Grammar School, Surrey, England
- Sexey's School, Bruton, Somerset, England,
- The Skinners' School, Kent, England
- St Andrew’s School, Eastbourne, England
- St. Bartholomew's School, Berkshire, England
- St Joseph's Collegel, Reading, Berkshire, England
- St Paul's School, London, England (architect: Alfred Waterhouse)
- St Swithun's School, Winchester, England
- Stoke Brunswick School, Ashurst Wood, West Sussex, England
- Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammar School, Kent, England
- Woldingham School, Surrey, England
- "Homepage". Brenda Barratt official site. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Sussex artist Brenda Barratt sends her painting into space". Sussex Life. 22 April 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Lindfield Collection". Brenda Barratt official site. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Interior of the Church of St. Mary, Whitby; St. Mary's, Whitby - Interior; Recording Britain". Victoria and Albert Museum. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Parents". Adams' Grammar School. Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Order form for painting" (PDF). Lewes Old Grammar School. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "School Portraits". Sexey's School. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Brenda Barratt's official website
- Brenda Barratt's House Portrait website
- Old Cranbrookians website
- Old Skinners' Society official website
- Caterham School official website - news January 2010
- Lewes Old Grammar School website
- St. Bartholomew's School official website - news 30.04.2009
- Burgess Hill School official website