|Born||1969 (age 48–49)|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, guitar, vocals, keyboards|
|Labels||Arts & Crafts, Draper Street Records|
|Associated acts||Broken Social Scene, Len, By Divine Right, Blurtonia, Valley of the Giants, hHead, Cookie Duster|
Brendan Canning (born 1969, Toronto, Ontario) is a Canadian indie rock performer. He is a founding member of the band Broken Social Scene and a former member of By Divine Right, Blurtonia, Valley of the Giants, Len, and hHead.
Canning began performing in the 1990s, singing and playing guitar, bass and keyboards in several local bands, including hHead and By Divine Right. In 1999 he and Kevin Drew founded Broken Social Scene, and the band recorded five albums. In 2002 Canning was part of the band Valley of the Giants.
In July 2008 Canning released a solo album called Something for All of Us..., the second release in the "Broken Social Scene Presents" series. The first single from the album is titled "Hit the Wall" and was released on May 5, 2008.
In 2009 Canning took part in an interactive documentary series called City Sonic, which featured 20 artists from the Toronto area. Canning talked about his connection to the Drake Hotel. Canning was also featured in the 2010 Prairie Coast Films documentary Open Your Mouth And Say... Mr. Chi Pig, a film directed by Sean Patrick Shaul about the life of Mr. Chi Pig of the band SNFU.
On October 1, 2013 Canning released his second solo album You Gots 2 Chill, the first to be released on his own record label Draper Street Records. The title of the album is a reference to the EPMD song You Gots To Chill. The first single, "Plugged In", was released as a free download. Soon after the album was released he embarked on a North American tour with fellow Toronto band Dinosaur Bones, which included a show at hometown venue Lee's Palace.
Canning signed Vancouver native Rosie June as the first artist to Draper Street Records. The label released her debut album Listening Post in June, 2014. Canning's last album, Home Wrecking Years, was released in August 2016; it includes cameos by Justin Peroff and Sam Goldberg from Broken Social Scene.
By Divine Right
- Bless This Mess (1999)
Broken Social Scene
- Feel Good Lost (2001)
- You Forgot It In People (2002)
- Bee Hives (2003)
- Broken Social Scene (2005)
- Forgiveness Rock Record (2010)
- Hug of Thunder (2017)
Valley of the Giants
- Valley of the Giants (2004)
- When Flying Was Easy (2012)
- Melody Lau (August 11, 2016). "Brendan Canning expands Broken Social Scene universe with new solo album".
- " Brendan Canning on Broken Social Scene’s Collective Consciousness". Bass Player, July 1, 2010. BY Brian Fox
- Foundas, Scott (July 28, 2013). "Film Review: 'The Canyons'". Variety. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- " Brendan Canning chills out from Broken Social Scene". Brad Wheeler, The Globe and Mail, Dec. 06, 2013
- Gregory Adams (September 17, 2013). "Brendan Canning Takes 'You Gots 2 Chill' on North American Tour, Premieres New Track". Exclaim!.
- "Rosie June Signs to Brendan Canning's Draper Street Records for 'Listening Post' Reissue"author=Alex Hudson". Exclaim!. May 23, 2014.
- Haas, Rachel (July 9, 2013). "Broken Social Scene's Brendan Canning Announces New Album You Gots 2 Chill". Paste. Wolfgang's Vault. Retrieved July 9, 2013.