|Birth name||Brendan Christopher Courtney|
|Born||24 June 1973|
Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland
|Notable works and roles||Wanderlust, The Brendan Courtney Show, Playdate, Off the RailsThe Clothes Show|
Brendan Courtney (born 24 June 1973 in Dublin) is an Irish TV presenter, broadcaster & fashion designer. He has written many hit TV formats and made award-winning documentaries. His fashion label Lennon Courtney began in 2012, the first openly gay presenter in Ireland. He created and hosted Wanderlust on RTÉ Two, Treasure Island RTE2, Holiday Home Detectives RTE1 The Brendan Courtney Show on TV3, Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway on ITV2, Blind Date on ITV2, Love Match on ITV1, Look of Love on ITV1, The Clothes Show on UKTV and Off the Rails on RTÉ One. He is one half of design duo "Lennon Courtney" along with Sonya Lennon which is stocked in Dunnes Stores. He has most recently made the hit authored documentary titled "we need to talk about Dad" which aired on RTE1 in 2017 and looks set to change the law in Ireland. Other documentaries include "Living with Boy George" SKY TV and "Alias Ricky Grrvais" Bravo TV. Brendan and Sonya's partnership has extended to founding fashion discovery app "fafinder" hundreds of boutiques in one place.
Courtney began his career on RTÉ Two's Wanderlust and ITV1's Love Match UK. He was the main developer of the idea of Wanderlust. He previously hosted The Brendan Courtney Show, a prime time talk show on Ireland's TV3 television channel. He also presented the RTÉ reality show Treasure Island.
In October 2006, he became the presenter on ITV2's late night dating show Playdate. From 2006–2008 he hosted and produced The Clothes Show with Caryn Franklyn and Louise Redknapp, As of Autumn 2008, he was co-hosting RTÉ One's Off the Rails. He also frequently hosted at the Clothes Show Live in Birmingham. He was on the panel of judges on Ladies' Day at the 138th Discover Ireland Horse Show on 4 August 2011. He has also judged Alternative Miss Ireland in The George, Dublin. He has written and published 2 No.1 bestseller books, LOVE YOUR LOOK in 2009 and YOUR BEST YOU in 2012.
In August 2009, Courtney spoke at a rally in Dublin requesting full marriage equality. He was battered by a gay bashing stranger while walking home down South Great George's Street in Dublin in 2011. A man in his early twenties punched him in the face and shouted "queer" before running away. Courtney said it was "disgraceful" that such an incident could occur in Dublin. He told Liveline that more than 50 other gay people had told him of their own experiences of being assaulted or verbally abused in towns nationwide.
- "RTÉ's new Cilla is a gay man". Irish Independent. 13 August 2000. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Sonya Lennon - Designer - Personally Speaking Bureau". Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Off The Rails". RTÉ. Archived from the original on 23 September 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2009.
- "A stylish match". Irish Independent. 13 September 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2008.
- "Clothes Show Live - Celebrities". Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- Mac Connell, Seán (4 August 2011). "Plenty of horseplay and shopping as stage is set for the real competition". The Irish Times. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
There are also very decent prizes for the most colourful outfit, the most creative hat and those results will be announced at 4.30 pm today by the judges, Sharon Corr, Brendan Courtney and Michael Leong.
- Mullally, Una (15 October 2011). "'Gay Christmas' is cancelled. So long, Alternative Miss Ireland". The Irish Times. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
The contest ignited the careers of Shirley Temple Bar and Katherine Lynch and has featured judges as diverse as Twink, David Norris, Marc Almond, Nell McCafferty, Ivana Bacik and Brendan Courtney.
- Geen, Jessica (10 August 2009). "Thousands march for gay marriage in Dublin". Pink News. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "TV star back on feet after attack". Sunday Independent. 13 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Murphy, Claire (15 February 2011). "Brendan overwhelmed by support after attack". Evening Herald. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- Brendan Courtney on IMDb
- Interview with Brendan Courtney, RTÉ Fashion, Sarah McIntyre, 23 March 2009
- Lennon Courtney Ladies Fashion Line, Lennon Courtney Ladies Fashion Line