May 19, 1994 |
Winnipeg, MB, CAN
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
|Toronto Maple Leafs
Toronto Marlies (AHL)
|NHL Draft||89th overall, 2012
Brendan Leipsic (born May 19, 1994) is a Canadian professional ice hockey forward. He is currently playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League (NHL). Leipsic was selected by the Nashville Predators in the 3rd round (89th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
On February 15, 2015, the Predators traded Leipsic along with Olli Jokinen and Nashville's 2015 first round draft pick to the Toronto Maple Leafs in a package deal for Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli. Leipsc played an important role down the stretch in helping the Toronto Marlies (a team that struggled to score early in the year) reach the post-season.
Leipsic began the 2015–16 season with the Marlies, and would play there for most of the year. However, in February 2016, the Maple Leafs lineup was depleted due to injuries. Wanting to allow younger players to remain in the AHL and develop, Toronto initially called up older veterans.
When injury struck again however, Leipsic was called up on February 13, 2016, in reward for his strong play, along with Jeremy Morin, both on an emergency basis. Leipsic made his debut the same night, in a road game against the Vancouver Canucks, and scored his first NHL goal midway through the second period, batting a flying puck out of mid-air and past goaltender Ryan Miller. The reaction of Leipsic's parents, who were in attendance and flew last minute to the game, garnered much media attention. Leipsic became the first Maple Leafs' player to score a goal in his NHL debut since Nikolay Kulemin in 2008. Leipsic was sent back to the Marlies shortly after his debut.
Leipsic is Jewish, and was born in Winnipeg, Canada. His mother Kathleen was a gymnast who represented Canada at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, and his father Greg was a high school running back. He has a brother (Jeremey) and a sister (Emma).
Regular season and playoffs
|2015–16||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||6||1||2||3||2||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|CHL Top Scorer Award||2012–13|||
- "Two Jewish players chosen at NHL entry draft". cjnews.com. 2012-06-27. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Preds prospect Brendan Leipsic finishes as leading scorer in all of major junior… | Section 303
- "Predators sign Leipsic". Nashville Predators. 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Leafs trade Santorelli, Franson to Predators". MapleLeafsHotStove.com. 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2015-02-15.
- "Leafs recall Leipsic, Morin on emergency basis". TSN. 2016-02-13. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "Brendan Leipsic scores winner in NHL debut as Maple Leafs beat Canucks". CBC Sports. 2016-02-13. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "Brendan Leipsic named Jewish athlete of the year". thehockeywriters.com. 2015-03-04. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Welcome to the show Brendan Leipsic". njjewishnews.com. 2016-02-16. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "Minor Leaguers play as NHL lockout lingers". cjnews.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "Team Canada summer camp media guide" (PDF). cdn.agilitycms.com. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "2012-13 Award Winners". Canadian Hockey League. 2013-05-01. Retrieved 2013-05-01.